General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

random short while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:10 PM

blackbirdta.. any luck on that fix?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 AM

have i technically fixed it? no, but i pulled down the bcm and opened it up. i didnt see any obviously cracked solder connections, but it seemed like as i moved the box around it was very sensitive at the main connections on the box. the radio would flicker on and off so i put it back up so that the connections press against the plastic cover piece (basically just didn't push it all the way into place) to keep them from wiggling. since then (maybe a few months) i have only had a problem once maybe twice. i am not sure how to really fix it though. i don't know if that helps you haha
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Thumbs up Problem solved

OK!!!! Not yet "solved", but at least diagnosed! I have been dealing with this exact problem for the past 6 weeks. Almost tore the entire dash apart looking for the mysterious short that disabled my radio, windows and convertible top randomly. Yesterday with the help of an entire wiring diagram I located my problem. The source of power for the radio and windows (top if your convertible) is the body control module. This is located under the bottom dash panel on the right/passenger side. You will need to remove the body molding that runs along the floor by the door. The BCM is on the side wall of the car (as if you were to sit in the passenger seat and kick your right foot to the right)

My problem is in the pigtail. I have a loose wire that, if jiggled, will return power on and off to the radio and windows. I have yet to "solve" my problem, but locating it has given me piece of mind. BCMs run from $100 - $200. But my problem appears to be in the pigtail. I may try some re-wiring before I resort to a new BCM.

Hope this helps those of you suffering
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM

I was going to reply with some help and then realized that this was my thread . It's too early in the morning.

I fixed it by selling the car and buying a GTO , but yes it is definately the BCM and if nothing else, replacing it should fix the problem.

I have an extra BCM from my '97 if you or anyone else needs it. I thought about using it for my '96, but wasn't sure if they were the same and never got around to it anyway.

Last edited by blackbirdta; 05-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.