General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

random short while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

random short while driving?

since I bought my 96 Z the radio has cut off randomly...no big deal, I figured it was just a loose connection in the head unit and I don't really care...it turns back on shortly after.

Now the other day the radio went out AND the power windows didn't work. those are the only two things i noticed didn't work. it has happend two times now. the first time it didn't come back until i got home (~3 miles) and flipped the ignition on and off a few times. the second time it worked ok when i turned off the car and started it again.

Any idea what this could be other than some random short? how could I go about searching? It may not be worth bothering with, but the window thing concerns me...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Sounds like you're going to need to get a book with wiring diagrams so you can see what colors to look for and what wires power what circuits, etc. Then start wiggling wires. I'd start at the radio, and the power window connectors since you mentioned those two things, then move onto the fuse box, check connectors in between, etc.

If it was a short, I would think you'd be blowing fuses.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 PM

I'm not that smart on this stuff, but I always check Shoebox's site first. The Retained Accessory Power module is common to the radio and the windows and I know people have trouble with that sometimes.

Check here for wiring diagrams and lots of other good info.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Same Problem Here,lol

Just smack the dashboard in the middle and it should go on. Also unlock and lock your doors about 4 times quick and then hold down the window switch this will make your radio go on and then the windows. My car gets like that alot. My girl friend laughs. I know my car too well.

Last edited by 1997whitez28; 03-11-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 AM

Exact same problem here too.

My radio goes out, and when it does the windows don't work. Most of the time I have to hold the window button down and hit the dash to get it back on. I have been back in the radio area and wiggled every wire with no results.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 AM

good to hear I'm not the only one I guess. I don't have the time or energy to go through all the wiring really. My only concern is selling the car in a year and having to say certain things don't work at random times . I'll have to look at that retained accessory power module or I'll just find the code to get my car to work. I think I'll try - lock, unlock, unlock, window down, smack dash three times
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM

I've had problems with my radio before like that. Usually it happens in warmer weather and 9 times out of 10 a good smack on the dash does turn it back on. my g/f laughs at me as well when I have to do it.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
My radio goes out, and when it does the windows don't work. Most of the time I have to hold the window button down and hit the dash to get it back on. I have been back in the radio area and wiggled every wire with no results.
Fairly common problem -- it's mostly likely a bad BCM, or a loose power and/or ground connection from the BCM.

BCM location can be seen on Shoebox's website....or I think BFrankers as well under alarm install.

Usually hitting to the right of the dash will help since that is near the BCM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I think it was in 1996 that the body control module (BCM) was added, and the functions of the RAP module were incorporated into the BCM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM

it did it again today...I pressed the window down button then hit the top of the dash above the radio. i had to do it three times and i didn't start working right away, but after a minute or so the windows and radio started working again . stuff like this will drive me crazy for the next year...can't wait for the 5th gen
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM

i'm gonna bring this back...

it seems to do it more often lately. the radio not on i can deal with, but when it's 100 degrees and i can't get the windows to go down its a problem

if it is something like a bad BCM I have all the wiring from a '97 (mine is a '96). could i just swap those out or is it complicated? what exactly does the BCM control? thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

If you have a spare BCM, try it. The BCM was only added in 1996, so 1997 is PROBABLY the same module. It controls a large number of systems.... Shoebox has the wiring diagram for the 96 on his website. The RAP circuit is on the upper right hand side of the diagram, 9th wire from the right end:

http://shbox.com/1/bcm_1996.jpg
Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 AM

does it just have a plug or is it wired in? any chance unplugging it will screw up any of those systems? maybe i'll see if i can give it a shot...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

My 1997 has been acting this exact same way for about a year now, always at the most inopportune times. I recently was given the advice to remove the connector to the BCM and clean the contacts, then plug and play. I have not done this yet because the BCM is not fun to get to, even for a nimble skinny guy (like myself) and it's been too dam hot to work on it even in the garage with a fan blowing. I didn't know about the hitting the dash trick before veiwing this post, but that will be my first recourse of action if they won't work tomorrow afternoon!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by likittysplit
My 1997 has been acting this exact same way for about a year now, always at the most inopportune times. I recently was given the advice to remove the connector to the BCM and clean the contacts, then plug and play. I have not done this yet because the BCM is not fun to get to, even for a nimble skinny guy (like myself) and it's been too dam hot to work on it even in the garage with a fan blowing. I didn't know about the hitting the dash trick before veiwing this post, but that will be my first recourse of action if they won't work tomorrow afternoon!
banging on the dash has seemed to do nothing the last few times this has happend to me. it did it today and hitting the dash didnt work. it would flip back on for 2 seconds whenever it wanted to then go off again...did that 5 or 6 times then stayed on. what a pain in the ***...

Quick Reply: random short while driving?