General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

Posted this in the V6 section getting views but no answers/suggestions.

Starting June/2012, every time it rains, plenty of water ends up in my oil while my car is parked. I first noticed it when I started my car one day during a heavy rain. Shook, sounded terrible, turned the car off after being on for 10 seconds max. Once the rain had stopped I checked the dipstick--milky looking, clearly water in the oil. Changed the oil myself and removed 13+ quarts of water/oil. There is also standing water on the drivers side rear front/rear floorboards. How could this be?

The following time it rained, I noticed 2-3" of standing water where my car was originally parked(moved it across the parking lot), which could explain how the water got in the oil the first time. After the rain stopped, I checked the dipstick, oil looked brand new. Before starting, I took the drain plug out and it was pure water at first, could have drank it if I were thirsty. No standing water this time, or anytime after. Still had 2+quarts of water each time though. I changed the oil/filter several times before buying a cheap car cover at Walmart 3 weeks ago. No more rain water in the oil!!!

However, yesterday I drove to the grocery store and on the way home and noticed a burning oil smell, looked at the gauges and my oil pressure was around 20. When I parked my car, I noticed a trail of oil--the oil filter was leaking oil. Changed the oil filter, started the car and now I have 0 oil pressure and the oil pressure switch is leaking just above the oil filter!

Got a new oil pressure sensor at NAPA, waiting to replace it until I get the proper tools.

Any ideas as to what any this could be? Or if its all stemming from the same problem?

When car cover is on and while driving, NO water gets in the oil, doesn't overheat or lose coolant. Runs as good as new. Could it still be a blown head gasket or cracked block?

1999 V6 3.8L 5-speed manual. 117,000K Miles
Custom RK Sport hood w/scoop, T-Tops, drivers side door has been worked on a few times. Can't think of any other relevant causes for any of these symptoms.

This car any my bicycle are my only means of transportation, ANY suggestions would help! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Re: Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

hope you have a good bike.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the humor, but that doesn't help much. I'm thinking the windshield or cowl drain being clogged with debris (pulled out leaves, acorns, plastic, etc.) may have caused the problem in the floorboard being wet. Could rusting from this or bad seals lead to rain water in the engine, Considering it is directly under the windshield cowl? If so this would explain how a 60 minute rain leaves a couple quarts of water in the oil, as it would be funneling in, maybe?

HOW could quarts of RAIN water, not coolant, be getting into the oil?

Coolant doesn't smell like exhaust.
No overheating, even in the gulf coast summer sun.
Coolant levels are consistent.
No metal flakes in oil.
No knocking or other strange noises while driving.
No problems whatsoever when its not raining or is covered.

I'm apparently not the only person on here lacking the knowledge of the cause of this issue.

Is this common? Ever heard of it? Any real feedback would be nice.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM

If the fluid in radiator stays the same it should not be the head gasket. you can do a pressure test
on the coolant system to make sure
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks parkersz28, will get that tested. If that checks out fine, any other ideas? I've been told it could be a valve cover hose near the back of the engine? Does that sound possible? Would the car still run properly if this were the case?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM

is water getting in the hood anywhere near the oil filler cap?

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Looked at my car this morning does that hose by the valve cover have a hole in it
you also need to watch your oil pressure seems like someone told me that water is bad for
the oil pump ??? maybe some one with a little more mechanical experience than me can answer
that

Last edited by parkers Z28; 09-22-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM

I saw a similar thread and they were parking at a slant and the water was making its way under the hood and soaking the engine. Amount of water almost sounds impossible.

Last edited by mrmint69; 09-22-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eranilanriy
Sometimes my car gives me great trouble when I park it on open area. it is because water gets accumulated inside the engine and it becomes milky liquid. The car does not start for a while resulting in foul smell.
Is your vehicle similar to the one being asked about?,
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Appreciate the replies! Havent had a chance to check the the thread or car in a few days. I don't believe theres water near the oil cap filler.

Really hard to see the complete hose by the valve cover. Any suggestions on how I could access this hose to check for holes? Also, would quarts and quarts or rain get in through one hole in a hose?

My car only gets rain water in it. Parked on a flat or slanted surface. My engine once filled with rain while I was in the grocery store during a short rain and wouldnt start when I got out. Parking lot was flat and there was an SUV park in front of me so I don't think wind direction matters. Never had a foul smell, only when I started the car the first time it happened and the water was burning out of the oil.

Thanks again for the responses, I hope to have this issue fixed soon so keep them coming!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM

I think I found the problem!

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board - Davinb56's Album: Leak from windshield cowl. 99 Camaro - Picture
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

yeah...you found the problem..it's your Wind Shield Cowl.....I have the same problem with my Camaro couldn't figure it out...I thought 3 Engines where bad until I came across this post....my question to you, How'd you fix it?
Old 01-02-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Davinb56
Posted this in the V6 section getting views but no answers/suggestions.

Starting June/2012, every time it rains, plenty of water ends up in my oil while my car is parked. I first noticed it when I started my car one day during a heavy rain. Shook, sounded terrible, turned the car off after being on for 10 seconds max. Once the rain had stopped I checked the dipstick--milky looking, clearly water in the oil. Changed the oil myself and removed 13+ quarts of water/oil. There is also standing water on the drivers side rear front/rear floorboards. How could this be?

The following time it rained, I noticed 2-3" of standing water where my car was originally parked(moved it across the parking lot), which could explain how the water got in the oil the first time. After the rain stopped, I checked the dipstick, oil looked brand new. Before starting, I took the drain plug out and it was pure water at first, could have drank it if I were thirsty. No standing water this time, or anytime after. Still had 2+quarts of water each time though. I changed the oil/filter several times before buying a cheap car cover at Walmart 3 weeks ago. No more rain water in the oil!!!

However, yesterday I drove to the grocery store and on the way home and noticed a burning oil smell, looked at the gauges and my oil pressure was around 20. When I parked my car, I noticed a trail of oil--the oil filter was leaking oil. Changed the oil filter, started the car and now I have 0 oil pressure and the oil pressure switch is leaking just above the oil filter!

Got a new oil pressure sensor at NAPA, waiting to replace it until I get the proper tools.

Any ideas as to what any this could be? Or if its all stemming from the same problem?

When car cover is on and while driving, NO water gets in the oil, doesn't overheat or lose coolant. Runs as good as new. Could it still be a blown head gasket or cracked block?

1999 V6 3.8L 5-speed manual. 117,000K Miles
Custom RK Sport hood w/scoop, T-Tops, drivers side door has been worked on a few times. Can't think of any other relevant causes for any of these symptoms.

This car any my bicycle are my only means of transportation, ANY suggestions would help! Thanks!
I have the same problem