General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about Fuel Gage needle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Question about Fuel Gage needle

own a '95 Z/28 convertible that I purchased 3.5 yrs ago. Ever since I have owned it, when I would fill the tank full of gas, the needle on the gage would go about a quarter of a tank past the "F". In direct relation, when the needle got between half a tank and quarter of a tank, you had better start heading for the gas station (found that out the hard way). Anyway, I recall watching HorsepowerTV a few years back that talked about putting in aftermarket "faces" behind your gages. They stated on the program that what you would want to do is start your car, make note of where the needles were and then shut the car off. Then take your dash apart, pop the needles off and change the faces with the aftermarket piece. So I got to thinking to myself, "this is what I need to do to my fuel gage". I just spent the last 2 hours in the driveway, sweating profusly, trying to accomplish this. Once I got done and bolted everthing back together and started the car, I was looking good. That is until I shut the car off. As soon as I did that, the fuel gage went to about 3/4 of a tank past the "F". When I started the car back up, it moved back over to where it should have been.

My point to all of this is, did I perform this procedure correctly? Is there something that I am missing? Just want to make sure that my baby stays factory pristine!!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 AM

Re: Question about Fuel Gage needle

The way you explained this was. Start car and make note of where the needle goes. Turn car off, replace guage with aftermarket guage. You probably put the needle in the position you noted when the car was running while the car was off. Seems okay when you start the car, but my guess is that there is a point the needle will not go past.

Last edited by RENE95Z; 06-23-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 AM

what if you filled the fuel tank up completely(so it is the 1/4 past full) and then take the dash apart, pop the fuel gauge needle off, start the car, then put the needle on so it is right on F? since it appears the entire fuel range is 1/4 to the right, why not just move the needle 1/4 to the left to offset that?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:04 PM

when I had my 1995 Z28 I was going to purchase a unit from an aftermarket impala SS company.. they had a unit that connects at the gas tank and sends the signal to the fuel gauge.

I just couldnt get into the "get under car at gas station when full to set the full mark and then again when its empty for the empty reading.." that was not worth it..

FWIW I ran out of gas more than 5 times in that car.. the LS1's dont have that issue...haha I carried a gas can and skateboard in my Z all the time just in case.. and it worked for me often.. haha
Old 06-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Bert02SS

That is until I shut the car off. As soon as I did that, the fuel gage went to about 3/4 of a tank past the "F". When I started the car back up, it moved back over to where it should have been.

Does it really matter where the needles land when the ignition is off? Answer: No. It only matters when the ignition is on. My '96 Z-28 did the same thing . . . Just fill it when you get to a quarter tank. End of problem. Oh, and don't let strangers drive it unless fully briefed.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
what if you filled the fuel tank up completely(so it is the 1/4 past full) and then take the dash apart, pop the fuel gauge needle off, start the car, then put the needle on so it is right on F? since it appears the entire fuel range is 1/4 to the right, why not just move the needle 1/4 to the left to offset that?
Because of the way the system works, you cannot correct the accuracy by merely repositioning the needle. The gauge will act the same, the needle will just be in a different place.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:56 AM

i know it would still be like that, but since 1/4 is more like empty, i think it would just make it easier to read. It would still stay near F for a while, then drop quickly, but the #s will more closely match what's in the tank.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 AM

It does irk me that it does that but its a little thing, plus for going empty u still have that little light that comes on right? so you know when its getting empty.

I'm pretty certain its not a coincidence that the little dip in the hatchback fits a large spare container of gass perfectly lol
Old 06-24-2005, 02:54 PM

I could give a crap less how accurate my needle is at full. I want to know it is accurate when it gets near empty!

I suggest you put a 5 gallon gascan in your trunk and drive it until it begins to run out of gas and sputter. At the same time, leave the cluster disassembled enough that you can yank the needle and reinstall it in the correct position when it is empty. Dump in your extra fuel, head to a gas station to fill up and reassemble the cluster. Now it will be accurate when reading empty, which is what really matters.

And while you are at it, stick the needle on just a hare below empty, that way you have a bit of a buffer to cover a fuel emergency.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:37 PM

I'm just used to it by now....just realise that when you get to 1/2 you need to be considering getting gas. At 1/4, you better pull over quick.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Yup, haven't had the car for a long time, but I'm already accustomed to the intricacies of the gas gage, lol. I never let it get much past a millimeter below the 1/4 mark.