General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about the Borla

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Drew98
A while back i saw where i guy dyno'd his car with each plate and there was practically no difference at between all of them. Its such a great flowing muffler in the first place that whatever plate you have in isn't going to effect performance. Its all about sound.
good to know....

the only difference, i believe, is that with the block-off plate or the plate with the smallest hole, there might exist a slightly increased throttle response/mid to low torque range increase....small, but possibly beneficial for small autox courses and the like...
Old 04-06-2004, 04:17 PM

ok.. this 1 million warranty which is common on high end exhausts.. lets address this..

Ok.. lets have reality set in and have the car you have be your only car and the only car you have access to.. now remove the exhaust so you can send it in for your warranty and then try and get to work..

So for that reason alone, I refuse to ever consider warranty worth anything when it comes to exhausts.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:15 PM

Does your stock exhaust ring a bell
Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
ok.. this 1 million warranty which is common on high end exhausts.. lets address this..

Ok.. lets have reality set in and have the car you have be your only car and the only car you have access to.. now remove the exhaust so you can send it in for your warranty and then try and get to work..

So for that reason alone, I refuse to ever consider warranty worth anything when it comes to exhausts.

400 dollars for a new, lower line catback......or shipping costs to send in the catback and a 60 dollar muffler to the i-pipe while you wait....
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM

I fell in love with the Borla cat-back exhaust on my first Camaro. I missed it more than anything else on my new one. Now I have Borla again and don't have to chase every Borla Camaro I find on the road just to listen to that awesome soothing growl. Plus it's fun to know I can set off car alarms with a sharp rev.

The plate is easy to change and according to near everybody, including Borla, mainly just changes how loud the exhaust is. Borla claims all plates make the same hp and the block off plate will create the most torque. Most likely they just mean it shifts more torque to the bottom end since it creates more backpressure, but every dyno experiment I've heard about says there is no difference between the plates.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:50 PM

Borla is a waste of money IMO. it serves teh same purpose as a cutout just costs 12x more.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Black01_Z
Borla is a waste of money IMO. it serves teh same purpose as a cutout just costs 12x more.
so what's every other catback? just a new muffler....?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:26 AM

you are forgetting one thing, a lot of people, including myself, buy the borla mostly for the sound it creates, then or equally for its good flow. For me its mostly the sound I was after, and you know what? Every time I drive it it never get's old, I love it.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by 00LukeyWS6
Every time I drive it it never get's old, I love it.
Well said.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:28 AM

I didn't really care for the sound of the Borla on my SS but I had long tube headers, 3 inch y-pipe with 3 inch Randem Tech cats. I had the cats removed and swapped in a SLP Loudmouth instead and like it much better, besides the BORLA is REALLY heavy! I used the Borla on my 1998 Z28 A4. The Z28 is completely stock and the Borla has the completely closed plate currently and it sounds good on that car with the stock manifolds, cats and Y-pipe. I found that changing the plates was pretty easy as long as you use some quality anti-seize on the flange bolts. Also....you may have to have the left (drivers) side tailpipe spot welded to hold it's position; mine kept moving no matter how tight I clamped it down. I found the band clamps that came with the exhaust to be usesless so I had all the joints fully welded once it was tucked up nicely. Before I had it welded I swapped all the Borla bandclamps for standard stainless and used my 1/2 airgun to tighten the **** out of them and they wouldn't get tight enough to stop the air leaks. The biggest downfall of the Borla is it's weight; man was it heavy! Did I say it was HEAVY!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:02 PM

99snkklr: You ran a Loudmouth with headers and an ORP? I heard a car with the same setup, and I didn't like it at all. Way too raspy and loud, no refined sound or tone to it, just obnoxious noise. The owner agreed.

I love my Borla. The only exhaust I would even consider other than it in terms of sound is the GMMG. To those that say Borla is overpriced, how do you justify the price of the GMMG, or even the Corsa which I've heard numerous stories of quality issues (broken mufflers and welds?) The Borla is better quality than both, it sounds as good as any other, and it's got the adjustability that no other catback does.

As far as the aluminized vs. stainless deal, come up here to New England during the winter and drive over the salt, sand, and snow in the roads for a couple years and tell me which one lasts longer.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:28 PM

stainless makes all the world of difference in new england. the sound is so incredible i get everyone saying how much they like it. what surprises me is when harley guys say it sounds better than thier bikes. i have had the muffler for almost 40k miles and still whenever i drive under a bridge or tunnel i rev it up with thte windows down just to listen to the borla. it is the best thing i have baught for the car
Old 04-07-2004, 08:17 PM

BORLA<------------------------------------------------

Borla is a great exhaust system I have shortires, no cat, no restrictor plate and at idle it is has that nice muscle car tone to it. Then when I hit the gas, you know that something bad-*** is cruising down the street All the way through the rpm range the borla sounds mean. No raspy sounds at all.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:18 PM

I'm with Pyschocabbage on this one. People say they love the way a Borla sounds....but they run it with the open plate. Why spend all that money on a muffler if you're just going to bypass it?

Has anybody actually worn out their muffler that it needed a million mile warranty? My exhaust is 15 years old. Still sounds like new.

The plate bypass isn't exactly rocket science. I see no reason why a Borla needs to be so expensive. Should be half the price. The design has been out for years.

The plate is a moot issue anyways, since 95% of owners don't change the plates after the first two weeks of ownership.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:22 PM

Wow, great argument. Why not just cut the entire exhaust off, that'd be even cheaper. It might even be lighter than the Borla.

I still smile every time I start my car, always seem to forget just how great that sound is.

Quick Reply: Question about the Borla