General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 07:53 PM

to ship it to your door is $39.50- including ups ground. Its 33.14 for the switch. Then you need sme relays and a couple extra parts for about 15 bucks probably then voila
Old 02-02-2004, 09:29 PM

Just seems like you're adding more work into starting your car.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:49 PM

Here ya go.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=42009

$9.95 from summit or you can get summit's version (which is probably the same switch with a summit part#) for $7.88.

To install it run a wire to it that is hot when the ignition is on and then run a wire from the switch to the switch wire on the starter relay (the small terminal with the small wire). Then to start you turn on the key and push the button.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by mullettour
Here ya go.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=42009

$9.95 from summit or you can get summit's version (which is probably the same switch with a summit part#) for $7.88.

To install it run a wire to it that is hot when the ignition is on and then run a wire from the switch to the switch wire on the starter relay (the small terminal with the small wire). Then to start you turn on the key and push the button.
Thats all well and good, for a drag car. But, I don't think that is the look most would go for. The Honda button has a nice color and style to it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM

I've installed an "Ignited" brand start button on my ride. Do a google search and I'm sure you can find numerous places that sell this particular unit. There are cheaper alternatives, such as the previously mentioned Honda start button. My particular button came with 5 different colored interchangeable lenses (clear, red, blue, green, yellow) that say "Engine Start" with a little Ignited logo. It is very simple to install. I followed the directions mentioned in BumpaD_Z28's post, with a slight modification, as the Ignited button requires 4 wires to be hooked up, while the honda button only requires 3. Another difference is that the whole button lights up, while I'm pretty sure the honda button only lights up the "Engine Start" word. The key still must be used (turned to the on position) to dissarm the vehicle anti theft system and steering wheel lock.
Also as a note, instead of completely cutting the yellow wire as shown in the directions, I only spliced into it so that I could retain the ability to start the car with the key as well (incase the button were to fail). I've had it installed since last summer with no problems. No drilling required, I used my cig. lighter hole.
Here's a pic:

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Old 02-03-2004, 04:05 PM

What's the point? I mean, you will have to have the key in the ignition anyway...so why not just turn it? Maybe I'm not understanding the application here...?! I'd understand if it were a key card you kepy in your pocked, with a pushbutton ignition (like the Benz LS500), but what's the use in a button if you need the key anyway?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by HoustonZ
What's the point? I mean, you will have to have the key in the ignition anyway...so why not just turn it? Maybe I'm not understanding the application here...?! I'd understand if it were a key card you kepy in your pocked, with a pushbutton ignition (like the Benz LS500), but what's the use in a button if you need the key anyway?
I think its more of a neato whiz bang kewl feature more than a needed one.. so some may like it others may not.. to me, it looks kewl but I can see I wouldnt want it in my car..
Old 02-03-2004, 05:52 PM

i see

Originally posted by HoustonZ
why do ricers like wings? Its just pereference. In the ferarri enzo and porches you must do the same exact thing, you have to use a key and you must push the button. Its just what some of us like, and personally I like the option of having two ways to start my car, especially if my hands are tied up
Old 02-04-2004, 01:27 AM

so, basically i could go to honda and buy the s2000 push button start and all the wireing from honda right!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:40 AM

I like this idea too and have been wanting to do it for quite a while. Although I dont think I want to use a button that says "Engine Start" on it. Id rather do something a little cooler like using a "1 player" button from an arcade machine.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 AM

yes/no

Originally posted by davis181
so, basically i could go to honda and buy the s2000 push button start and all the wireing from honda right!!!
you can buy the switch, but you must do all the wiring yourself, which is not hard at all.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:26 AM

What I'd like to do is wire up a little security keypad that you can program with a code for the ignition. That way...the car will ONLY start if the proper code is entered. Installed in the cigarette lighter hole...

I'm doing this...it's just a matter of application and figuring it all out....
Old 05-07-2004, 09:43 AM

Re: i see

Originally posted by lifbcracker
why do ricers like wings? Its just pereference. In the ferarri enzo and porches you must do the same exact thing, you have to use a key and you must push the button.
In a nut shell ... It's a retro ricer mod.

Provides no perfomance advantage, but it's kewl, like a them there big time race cars ...
Old 05-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Keypad

Alrighty...on my way.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM

I'm actually not doing anything "retro" or "ricer"...I'd like to be able to ONLY start my car with a code entered in on a keypad. I guess this really isn't part of the push button start thread...since I will still start it with the key...only AFTER a code had been entered.

Quick Reply: Push Button Start