General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Puddle behind passenger seat

Old 01-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Puddle behind passenger seat

I have a 2000 SS vert and for some reason a puddle forms behind my passenger seat on the floor, its not just damp but an actual puddle, it doesnt leak from the top, does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM

If it only happens when it rains, etc you could probablly duplicate it by having someone dump a bucket of water over all the weatherstripping on the car while you're inside looking for drips. Or take it to a carwash and do the same thing... check windows, doors etc. If it's leakin you should be able to see it. If it's not any of that....could be a hole in the floor sending some water up or something, but it is too new for something like that. I guess that's what i would try

If it happens when it's not raining, time to lock the doors...

Last edited by will4831; 01-13-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM

^yea what he said, and to drain the puddle out just pull the drain plug out from under the car and let it drain then make sure to put the plug back in so water doesnt start coming in that way too.

It happened to me once, when we had alot of rain for two days in arow but hasnt happened since
Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM

I've had this same problem for years. It only happens to me when I park on a hill with the nose facing downhill during a hard rain. I've tried to locate the problem and fix it but I haven't been able to do it so far. So for now I just make sure to face the nose uphill whenever I park on a hill. Kind of a pain, but it works and the car stays dry.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by tiafn2
I've had this same problem for years. It only happens to me when I park on a hill with the nose facing downhill during a hard rain. I've tried to locate the problem and fix it but I haven't been able to do it so far. So for now I just make sure to face the nose uphill whenever I park on a hill. Kind of a pain, but it works and the car stays dry.
My car has done this for years also and I could never figure out why until I did my interior swap. Once I pulled everything out of the car it became clear what happened. I too have to park w/ the nose pointed uphill. What happens is when it rains, water collects in the space between the rear quarter panel and the trunk weather stripping. This weather stripping is far from "securely" glued down/sealed from the factory, thus letting anything thing small enough to get through underneath it. Once the water has collected to form a large enough puddle, the water comes in either between the weather stripping and hatch, or between the weather stripping and where it connects. From there it will drizzle down the inside rear panel, either collecting itself inderneath the passenger seat, or in the passenger floor board. I live in a area of georgia where there is lots of sulfer in the water. Because of this the water had left a "hard water" stain all the way down the inside of my car. For years I could not find this, even by goin into the car wash or etc. There is really nothing i've found to do w/ this problem except make sure I park w/ the front of the car uphill slightly when it rains so that the water will not collect in that little valley. Instead it will run out the end and out the rear tail light area. Here's a pic of my car. I tried to draw how the water came down into the floor. hope it helps, l8tr
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 AM

Thanks alot Sick94! I have been looking for a solution to this problem forever. I am pretty sure this is it but I will have to try to make sure but thanks for taking the time to show that.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Basically if you flood the rear of the car with water and it pools up in the hatch sill area it will leak exactly as shown down the sail panel or behind the seat

SOLUTION: Drill two 1/8 inch holes on each side in the the hatch channel near the forward corners... right down into the outer wheel well area...

This keeps water from pooling up at the hatch seal corners and, and I've never had a problem since
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Holy old thread batman! Never thought about drilling the holes but it makes sense seeing as it will not affect any structural stability of the car.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sick94
Holy old thread batman! Never thought about drilling the holes but it makes sense seeing as it will not affect any structural stability of the car.
Well to be safe in terms of structural stability I made two smaller holes in each side, although I suppose you could just drill something like a single 1/2" hole. Although I haven't had any issues with the 1/8" ones.

The bigger key is just to understand what was happening, and I pulled my hair out until I was working on re-wiring my amps and discovered the same thing you did, that the water was draining down from the rear hatch area
Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 PM

BUMP! Well I finally found the darn leak! Any of you guys having this same problem also check that your hood cable grommet for the firewall is all the way screwed in. I guess over the years mine became worn and backed out of the firewall and everytime it rains it has a channel of water pumping down the inside of the hood underneath the glass heading straight for it. Mine was not in at all anymore and made for a huge puddle in the back driver floorboard. Since the floorboard is unlevel and the back is further down the water would run down the little channels and fill it up first making it look like the water was coming in from the back. So glad to finally have found it!!!