General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM

pressure test

did a pressure test on my coolant system it held 18 psi. now i am stilloverheating so i am wondering would an intake leak cause the car to overheat? i do see some old oil around the passenger side upper intake near the alternator side?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Re: pressure test

No... oil leaks don't cause overheating, unless the oil gets very low.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
No... oil leaks don't cause overheating, unless the oil gets very low.
i see well do u have any idea what this could be? i am out of suggestions/ways to see whats wrong with it... i have a 180 degree thermo in there,. maybe the previous owner programmed it for 160 degrees thermostat? i dont know i hate guessing.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 PM

it has to be my fans not kicking on because when im moving temp is fine but when im at idle/stop and go traffic and redlights it starts to climb higher to the red mark until it gets to the red and says check gages thats how i know it has gotten way to hot and needs to be turned off immediately. i have replaced the fan relays with brand new ones and when i attach dlc the fans do turn on so i am confused.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Administrator

At any point have you data logged it with Scan9495? That will tell you exactly what the PCM is doing when it overheats.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 PM

At any point have you data logged it with Scan9495? That will tell you exactly what the PCM is doing when it overheats.
no i did not, so i would have to run the car until it gets to the red point and then plug my scanner in and where should the data logg be?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM

data logg

okay i got the data loggs and sent them to garrys email..i dont have yours or shoeboxes email to send to u guys and i dont know how to attach it on to here.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

See PM
Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 PM

email sent
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received. I'll look at it Monday at work.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Check with Gary. I can see the coolant temp going up, but you didn't record the fields that show the status of various "switches" like the fan relays. The second file column labels are not in a format I've ever seen before.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Administrator

New file indicates both fans are running (at least the PCM has signalled the fan relays to turn them on), but the coolant temp continues to rise. If you can see the fans running when the coolant temp approaches 250*F, as it does in the data log, the fault is with the cooling system, not with the CLT sensor or the PCM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 PM

New file indicates both fans are running (at least the PCM has signalled the fan relays to turn them on), but the coolant temp continues to rise. If you can see the fans running when the coolant temp approaches 250*F, as it does in the data log, the fault is with the cooling system, not with the CLT sensor or the PCM.
i pressure tested the cooling system and it held 18 psi idk what else i should do for the coolant system any ideas? i have a 180 degreees thermostat in there brand new ect and temperature switch. should i perform a flush and re-fill procedure? might just take it to jiffytube or valvoline?

Last edited by warmeck; 05-11-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Holding pressure just means the system has no leaks. Doesn't mean the internals of the cooling system are clean. Doesn't mean the air flow through the radiator is not being impeded. Doesn't mean there is good flow through the system.

Are you saying that with all they problems you have been having with the cooling system, you have never had the system flushed? Half the radiator could be plugged up, and not providing an cooling. A layer of rust or sludge on the internals of the block interferes with heat transfer.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Holding pressure just means the system has no leaks. Doesn't mean the internals of the cooling system are clean. Doesn't mean the air flow through the radiator is not being impeded. Doesn't mean there is good flow through the system.

Are you saying that with all they problems you have been having with the cooling system, you have never had the system flushed? Half the radiator could be plugged up, and not providing an cooling. A layer of rust or sludge on the internals of the block interferes with heat transfer.
well the so called dealer mechanic said he flushed and refilled but idk anymore after having all these problems im going to just do it myself.

Quick Reply: pressure test