General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Re: pressure test

Look in FRONT of the radiator and be sure nothing has been "sucked" up there and is impeding the flow of air.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 PM

what is a proper way to flush the coolant system? i am going to do this tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Shoebox.... didn't I link this in one of your earlier threads?

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles
Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Shoebox.... didn't I link this in one of your earlier threads?

i didnt remove the block coolant drain but i did remove theknock sensor and took off the thermostat and flushed water thru the kneck and then thru the radiator for about 20min.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 PM

well idk if its still overheating but it did get to about 230 again so should i just replace the headgasket even though it tested negative?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Administrator

If all you did was run clean water through the system, it's not necessarily going to remove heavy sludge and rust deposits. You have to add a chemical flush, and run the engine for an extended period of time. Then drain the flush solution, flush with clean water, then replace coolant/water mix.

Or, you need a professional power flush of the entire system.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:28 PM

If all you did was run clean water through the system, it's not necessarily going to remove heavy sludge and rust deposits. You have to add a chemical flush, and run the engine for an extended period of time. Then drain the flush solution, flush with clean water, then replace coolant/water mix.

Or, you need a professional power flush of the entire system.
okay im going to have a professional power flush down i will get back to you.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM

well i got it flushed and same problem... i have just noticed when i uplug the sensor wire from the waterpump the fans dont come on, or when it gets up to a high enough temp?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Your data log showed the PCM was turning the fans on. I told you that you had to verify that the fans were actually coming on. Did you ever do that? You also indicated that the fans came on when you shorted the ALDL connector pins.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Your data log showed the PCM was turning the fans on. I told you that you had to verify that the fans were actually coming on. Did you ever do that? You also indicated that the fans came on when you shorted the ALDL connector pins.
yes i verifyied by shorted the ALDL connector pins. then i tried i verifyied by letting it run to almost red like 245 and jacked it up and the fans werent on.i then unplugged the sensor to see if the fans would come on and they didnt. So i believe the PCM is doing its just. there is a fault in the sytem somewhere in the wiring or the fan/ fan clutch?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 PM

the relays are all brand new and new fuse.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Administrator

If the PCM successfully turned the fans on when you shorted the pins, it proves there is no fault in the system from the PCM to the relays, and from the relays to the fans. The problem has to be from the temp sensor to the PCM. The data log showed that the PCM was responding to the high temps by telling the fans to start. Were you running Scan9495, or running a data log when you watched the temp go to 245°? Did you see 245° on the data log, or on the dash gauge? Did you get a DTC for the 2 fan relay circuits when that happened? If so, send me the log.

That's the whole idea of using the scan software.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 AM

If the PCM successfully turned the fans on when you shorted the pins, it proves there is no fault in the system from the PCM to the relays, and from the relays to the fans. The problem has to be from the temp sensor to the PCM. The data log showed that the PCM was responding to the high temps by telling the fans to start. Were you running Scan9495, or running a data log when you watched the temp go to 245°? Did you see 245° on the data log, or on the dash gauge? Did you get a DTC for the 2 fan relay circuits when that happened? If so, send me the log.

That's the whole idea of using the scan software.
i was running the scan9495 see if i can find codes i did not do a data log unforunately but yes i did see the temp on the scan. i did not get a DTC for the relay circuits. There is some faulty wiring i believe from the temp sensor to the pcm. i had recently replaced the temp sensor and i cut the wire to the temp sensor so i could wire in the new temp sensor wire. so there is 2 butt connectors that i crimped. There must lye my problem then? i should just replace the whole wire.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Did you check the CLT sensor circuit using Shoebox's procedure?

We just keep going over the same things, over and over. I've given this info to you at least twice before, Rob/Shoebox has explained how to make the wire connections...................
Old 05-30-2015, 01:07 AM

Did you check the CLT sensor circuit using Shoebox's procedure?

We just keep going over the same things, over and over. I've given this info to you at least twice before, Rob/Shoebox has explained how to make the wire connections...................
ok so i tested the fans with a wire and they turn on. i tested the sensor and it was faulty. so im going to buy another one tomorrow morning.its kinda wierd becuase the coolant temp sensor is brand new soi guess it was faulty from the box?

Quick Reply: pressure test