General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Power Steering Noise

The other day my pump was making a winning noise like it was out of fluid. I check the fluid and it was low so I filled it up. The noise briefly went away but came back. One dy later the noise got very loud and you can hardly turn the steering wheel. I replaced the power steering pump thinking that would solve the issue but it didn't change anything. The fluid in the reservoir looked normal. Any ideas what to check? Without a car please help.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Re: Power Steering Noise

Anybody??
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 PM

I have the exact same thing going on my older 79Z. I was thinking things like a plugged or blocked line, belt issues or contaminated fluid. Did you flush all the old fluid out when you changed the pump? I was guessing maybe condensation got in there from sitting all winter and is making it hang up. Not a whole lot of parts on there really to really look at past the pump.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Try turning the wheel lock-to-lock, with the engine running, a few times to bleed the air out. Do your best to stay off the stops....

Air in the system will make it behave like there is no fluid.....effort goes way up.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM

I was gonna do that but the sound is so loud I'm afraid something gonna come apart. When I put the new pump on was I supposed to prime or bleed the pump? If so how?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM

I think Rob has a procedure to bleed the pump but you can just turn the wheel from side to side..

Rob's page: redirect
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 PM

okay, i flushed the whole system out, and then bled the system by turning lock to lock 20 times and its still making a horrible noise. im stuck.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Is there some kind of slave cyclinder or something else that I can check?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Is it possible the noise is from the pulley? I did my 79z and reused the pulley when replaing the pump. Is it also possible the new part is bad?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

I'd also check your lines for leaks, I had a `94 that had the return line with a small hole in it and it would only seep with the engine off, but while running it would suck air and would cause more air going back to the pump and it wouldn't disapate the air before going in the pump. Knocked out the pump and the relief valve was stuck open allowing air to cavitate in the pump.

I finally found the leak by using a stethscope while running, two pumps, a belt, an idler and a rack, much later.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 PM

Does it screech (eeh-eeh-eeh!) when you go lock-to-lock backing out of parking spots, turning around in the driveway, and then seem to kind of go away when warmed up? Okay, before you go to a lot of trouble of flushing everything out or replacing the steering hoses, let me tell you what worked for me, try the easiest thing first:

1. As a fellow '96 Z28 owner, I'll bet you've replaced the serpentine belt at least 3-4 times, like I have. But have you ever replaced the serp belt tensioner? My retired former Chevy dealer expert mechanic friend said that after 20 years things break down inside the tensioner, and even with a new belt, the slipping will cause the pump not to generate enough pressure to handle a lot of turning, and then squeaky-squeak.

2. Ordered a Gates DriveAlign Premium OE Automatic Belt Tensioner online (one of the more affordable at under $30), and installed it. Didn't flush anything, the belt had been replaced less than 5K mi ago so reused the serp belt. Installed the whole thing in 20 min.

3. Result: Honest-to-god, no squeaks! I can't believe it! Try this as a preemptive strike, can't hurt.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Administrator

If you are trying to help "camz28ryan" he has not signed into this site in 3-1/2 years.