General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power Steering Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:47 AM

Question Power Steering Fluid?

Ok, so my ps pump has started whining like a sumbitch. It's bad enough that If I closed my eyes and listened to it, I'd think I was driving a Mustang.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop and pick up some fluid to flush the thing with on my way home this evening. Does anybody know how much fluid the pump holds? Any recommendations on what to buy? I've never had to play with a GM ps pump before, so this may be a new experience.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Lightbulb As far as I know, any ol' power steering fluid will work.

Unlike Honduh, that requires their fluid only ...

Quantity equals unknown, though.

I had to add to mine as well. I can't see any leaks, but the cap area is a little wet, so I suspect that somehow it is leaking/evaporating (?) thru that seal.

In any case, a little fluid quieted things up for me.

Britt
Old 12-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Re: Power Steering Fluid?

I honestly haven't even had time to pop the hood and take a look at it yet, so I don't know what the fluid level is. I was planning on just flushing the damn thing, but maybe I'll start by just adding some and see if that does the trick.

So I can just throw any kind of ps fluid in there? I'll double-check with the guys at Autozone, even though they're usually worthless for info.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:52 PM

Aww come on now I work at autozone part time while I go to school it's those advance auto retards you gotta watch out for lol jp advance guys out there

As for the power steering it'll take plain old power steering fluid. I believe the wetness around the other guy's cap is fluid boiling off but that's just what I read on this board...not positive. If you flush it completely though I would replace it with high quality fluid with a higher boiling point than regular old crap fluid. You'll need about a quart if you flush it out.

Just my 2 autozoner cents tho =)

James

Last edited by jaguar5822; 12-27-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:36 PM

So I swung by Atuozone and picked up a couple quarts of good stuff. By now, it was whining really bad, so I took it home, popped it open, and checked the reservior. Dry as a bone. I think there was actually dust in there.

So I added a bunch of fluid, started up the car and turned the wheel a few times to get it all through the hoses and whatnot, added a bit more (level went down a little after being run), and closed it up. That horrible whine is just about gone. I can still hear it (barely) but it's greatly improved.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Check all the lines/rack/pump connections for leaks or elese its just going to happen again.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:42 PM

There could be air in the system
Old 12-27-2005, 07:12 PM

I was having a problem with the power steering on my Silverado and the mechanic at the local Chevy dealer said to put Lucas Oil Power Steering fluid in and the problem was fixed.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM

You can also substitute Dexron III ATF into the power steering pump if you need it in an emergency. In fact some european auto manufacturers use GM/Delphi power steering pumps and specify ATF as their fluid.

For future reference, of course.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by NavyBlueFanatic
There could be air in the system
I was thinking that myself, but I'm not sure how to go about bleeding a power steering pump. Any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 AM

i have been having the same problem with both of my vehicles..my camaro seems to be leaking it out of somewhere and i think it might be hitting my sep belt because that has been squealing like a pig. On my jeep it just pisses it out as fast as i put it in. So needless to say i have about 3 quarts of power steering fluid in my trunk. I am tired of putting money into these cars and i am gunna sell the maro and jeep as soon as i get the chance.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LT-14me
So needless to say i have about 3 quarts of power steering fluid in my trunk. I am tired of putting money into these cars and i am gunna sell the maro and jeep as soon as i get the chance.
You going to sell just because of a leaky steering system??? Heck it's probably a hose and it'll only take two yanks of an 11/16 wrench to replace it.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adrenalinejunkie1
I was thinking that myself, but I'm not sure how to go about bleeding a power steering pump. Any thoughts?
To bleed the air out, remove the resevoir cap and turn the steering wheel back and forth almost hitting the stops each way. After 2-3 times of this ensure the res. level hasn't dropped to the point where more air can enter the system. Fill to the full line and repeat this process a couple more times. It is easier on the power steering system if the front wheels are off the ground.