General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power Side Mirrors Not Working (1993)

Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Power Side Mirrors Not Working (1993)

Neither of my side power mirrors will move. I've replaced the control...same result. The car was in storage for about 7 years...just put it back on the road. I'm not sure if the problem existed before storage or not.

Do these mirror motors typically fail/lock-up? I'm debating on whether to pull the trigger on a set of aftermarket mirrors but I thought I'd throw this out there for feedback first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Re: Power Side Mirrors Not Working (1993)

Not a common problem.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

If your car has power door locks and power hatch release and they don't work also, check the PWR ACCY fuse.

Do both directions not work on both mirrors?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
If your car has power door locks and power hatch release and they don't work also, check the PWR ACCY fuse.

Do both directions not work on both mirrors?
Yeah...door locks and hatch release work. The fuse is good.

Neither mirror will move at all...in any direction. When moving the mirror control stick around attempting to adjust the position you can occasionally hear an audible pop sound come through the speaker system.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would check the orange wire at the switch for 12v when the ignition switch is set to Run/on. Then check for a constant ground at the black wire. Keep in mind that both wires go through the door jamb cable set and may be intermittent. Those wires are the only ones common to all directions and mirrors.

The black ground wire goes to the left door pillar behind the kick panel: http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_relay.jpg
It's just behind the word "kick"

Last edited by GaryDoug; 03-05-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 PM

I would pull the door panel off and re-connect the switches and turn the key on but don't start the engine and take a look at the little connector that connects the power mirror to the wiring connector thing and move it around (plug it in and out several times to see any movement)Call me crazy but I would do the cheap stuff first.Hope this helps.(Was the car exposed to bad weather conditions).Maybe the little motors in the mirror need a little help with movement.My02.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would check the orange wire at the switch for 12v when the ignition switch is set to Run/on. Then check for a constant ground at the black wire. Keep in mind that both wires go through the door jamb cable set and may be intermittent. Those wires are the only ones common to all directions and mirrors.

The black ground wire goes to the left door pillar behind the kick panel: http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_relay.jpg
It's just behind the word "kick"
Good to know...I'll check into this this weekend.

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I would pull the door panel off and re-connect the switches and turn the key on but don't start the engine and take a look at the little connector that connects the power mirror to the wiring connector thing and move it around (plug it in and out several times to see any movement)Call me crazy but I would do the cheap stuff first.Hope this helps.(Was the car exposed to bad weather conditions).Maybe the little motors in the mirror need a little help with movement.My02.
The car's been garage kept (off the road) for the last seven years or so, before that it's seen it's share of normal east coast (Maryland) weather.

I tried giving the mirrors a little 'help' when moving the control stick. They're pretty firm. With enough pressure they can be moved with an audible click like little plastic gears slipping.

I'll follow-up on this and report back. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:12 PM

My 99 SS does the same thing. I just got this car and that was the only thing that didnt work... I just hear this pop sound when i try to move the switch. I am curious if you ever figure out the issue ??
Old 12-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Administrator

“Guruerror” hasn’t signed into this site since 2015.

I can post the wiring diagram from an earlier year. As GaryDoug explained above, check the “power accy” fuse, and check for 12 volts on the orange wire at the power window switch assembly. Check for a good ground on the black wire at the switch. After that you need to check for 12 volts out of the switch based on which way you are pressing the switch.

From Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/1995_fbird_pwr_mirrors.jpg

99 may be a bit different, but you can download a free copy of the 1999 factory service manual (courtesy of GaryDoug) and compare the power mirror wiring schematics.

.https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti