Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

poly mounts chime in

About 2 weeks ago I replaced the motor mounts and tranny mount with poly replacements. Now I was expecting a decent amount of vibration to be noticed, but the vibration I have is almost unbearable. My entire center console and radio area on the dash sound like its going to come apart. This only happens after the car is warmed up and only in the 2200-2500 rpm range.

I was looking for input from anyone else that replaced these mounts and what kind of vibrations you are getting. Is this much vibration normal for this upgrade? Is there some sort of break in period for these? The stock mounts were absolutely shot and I could almost twist them in half.

I had these on my mustang back when I had that and the vibrations wernt near as bad, but then again I swapped those in placer of solid mounts, so anything was better than them.

Any input would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: poly mounts chime in

I haven't done poly mounts on the motor, but I did have a vibration from the trams mount install on my old Z. Mine was at highway speeds, but it can occur in other ranges. Are you using the Energy Suspension mount on the trans? If so, I found a trick that I used on my TA, which has caused no vibration this time around.

If your trans mount has a plate that goes between it and the crossmember, and the mount has a nub on the side that faces the trans, you can omit the plate and grind off the nub. If you search, there should be an old thread explaining it in more detail. It was years ago, so might take some time. If you don't find it, I can provide more detail.

Hope this helps
94 black TA, low-rise hatch, base seats, 110 speedo, hardtop, factory cassette deck. The Formy in TA clothing. CAI, 2OTL, LTs and ORY, Performabuilt 60E and 2500 stall, GM A/C delete, free mods, some UMI stuff underneath. Still rockin' 2.73s out back.
TD95Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Re: poly mounts chime in

Yes. I did install the preload plate, which since it would make the trans sit up higher and throw off the driveshaft angle a lil, im thinking thats whats causing it. The mount I put on there is the energy suspension #3.1142g. Which is specific to the 4th gen cars, it has the correct height mount for the application. Im gona take out the plate this weekend and see if the vibration goes away. Worst case, I have to shim the crossmember down a bit.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Reply Post New Thread