General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

please help!!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 PM

please help!!

so i am trying to install SLP headers on my car. i have all the old parts off and now i am trying to fit the heads on. i am working on the driver side. i took off the steering linkage and the head still does not fit! the part of the steering knuckle is in the way still and it wont drop in. i even tried to put it on from underneath and it was getting stuck on a sensor by the oil filter. please give me any ideas on how to put it in! i am losing hope and am about to put the stock parts back on
Old 07-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Re: please help!!

Remind us - what year is your car? You need a "Signature". Please add one. I know you have a 93, but others, who didn't read your earlier posts do not know.

All years of the LT1 are not the same. You mention "a sensor by the oil filter". That's the oil pressure sensor, so your car would be a 93 or a very early 94. That's why a "Signature" is critical - it helps us help you.

How much of the steering shaft did you remove? A caution - with the steering shaft disconnected, do NOT turn the steering wheel. You can damage the "clock spring" for the driver's side air bag.

Do the headers have a slip fit tube for #1 cylinder, allowing you to remove the #1 primary tube from the rest of the drivers side header, and fit it separately?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Ok, il be sure to do that. And i took off the steering linkage that i could. there is still a metal rod going through the firewall is that the steering shaft? and that is what is keeping me from putting it on. After posting this i took off the oil pressure sensor to try and put the header in from the bottom and it did not work. And the headers are solid. i don't see any way to take a tube off. its welded all around.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Administrator

The steering shaft is in several pieces, and connects the steering wheel to the steering rack. The "linkage" would be the rods that connect the steering rack to the steering knuckles.

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/steering_column_exploded.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/steering_system.jpg

Typically, the shaft is only a problem with respect to the #1 primary. I've done JBA shorties and didn't have to do remove any part of the steering shaft.

Search this Thread