General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Passenger airbag cover question

Old 05-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Passenger airbag cover question

Looking to replace the Passenger airbag cover on my 95z28. The edges are turned up from years in the sun and it looks like crap. Found GM part number 16760171 and am wondering if stretches all the way across the car and if does, when I replace my heater core is that the time to do it. Being that the dash will come apart to accomplish this. In the exploded view that I was looking at, it seems as if this may be the case, that it is not just the cover that has to be replaced. It looks like that cover is attached to a much larger piece! Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Re: Passenger airbag cover question

I would like to know about this. Have you asked a local dealer or a body shop to see what they advice?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Add me to the list of people that would like to know about this, the edges of mine are curling up slightly and it would be nice if you could replace this cover without too much hassle..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Have not checked in with a dealer or body shop yet. I do have a line on the part though and its expensive. $400-$600 for OEM. I guess I will move ahead and just order it at the end of the month. I hear it is a bit of a wait to get it, but as soon as I do I will post... hey TC94Z28... I am south of you in Santee!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Lol, hey neighbor... Yeah mine is just starting to curl and have a small strange gap, luckily it has had a lot of garage time in its 20 yrs..
I can see if I don't get some kind I cover for it soon that before long it will be ugly to look at and definitely need to be replaced... No big surprise with our hot sunny weather!!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by TC94Z28
Lol, hey neighbor... Yeah mine is just starting to curl and have a small strange gap, luckily it has had a lot of garage time in its 20 yrs..
I can see if I don't get some kind I cover for it soon that before long it will be ugly to look at and definitely need to be replaced... No big surprise with our hot sunny weather!!

Just got a house with some room in the garage, getting the car repainted this summer, and going through and fixing some things cosmetically. Hope you are away from the fires!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:14 PM

For those who want to know...it does stretch all the way across the dash. Just got it from FedEx last week. Looks like everything that is on the dash mounts to the thing and it in turn mounts to the car. The box was as tall as my doorway when they dropped it off! So now the car is down at the mech getting a new heater core and the A/C leak fixed. GM part number is 16760171 and the people I bought it from are Ricks Camaro part number for them is 777228. Took them about 3 weeks to get it to me for about $430 delivered. Saw one on ebay last week for 7 hundred so I feel like they gave me a good price. It is OEM and is gonna look great with the upper dash cover that was put in a few years back.
Hope this helps!