General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Parting '97 Z-28 Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Parting '97 Z-28 Any tips?

Hey guys,
I bought a wrecked '97 Z-28 for a decent price. I am planning on keeping the motor and trans plus a few other parts for my vehicles, then parting the remaining, to get some of my money back.
Here's the rub, I have never parted a Camaro before and so don't know what might be worth keeping (to sell) and what isn't worth the effort. Just don't want to throw away parts that would be re-sellable (is that a word?) and someone could use, or waste a lot of time on stuff nobody would want.
Anyone done this who can give me some tips?
BTW- Front-end is smashed and frame is twisted. Didn't seem to hurt motor/trans but damaged a lot of parts.
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Re: Parting '97 Z-28 Any tips?

FYI: I parted out a 95 Z28 convertible a while back. I wanted the drive train for a street rod project. Kept the engine , auto-tranny, engine wiring harness, PCM, steering column and shifter. Then tried to sell the remaining parts.

The following parts went quickly: V8 K-frame w/motor mounts, rear posi unit (not the housing or axles), tires/wheels, cross-member, tail light covers.

Took forever to get rid of the doors, hood, fenders, grille, valances and finally gave them all to a guy for about $150 just to make some room.

Removed the fuel tank for the sending unit which I still have. Also still have the convertible framework and it's hydraulics, radiator and condenser, axles, calipers, rotors and brackets. Another guy bought the Y pipe with cat for $50. Loaded the body on a friends trailer and he scrapped it.

Was hard to move the parts around here, there were folks that wanted the Z28 badges but I left them on the panels. Was just glad to get rid of the parts I did.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 PM

I see. Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, the interior and doors, hatch, and rear-end is the biggest part of what I will have that's still good. Really took a beating on interstate 70! Lucky the guy didn't get seriously hurt.
Mostly I am hoping someone will tell me there is something valuable that I can still salvage. For instance, the sending-unit was a good idea that I probably would have missed!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

There is a Facebook group called F-body Craigslist. Join the group and make a post saying you're parting out a '97 Z28. Give details: auto or manual, hardtop-t-top-convertible, color, interior color, etc., and mention the parts that you're keeping and anything that's damaged. Include as many pictures as you can of the damage and of what's available. They'll pick it clean for you, especially if you're willing to pack and ship.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Awesome! Thanks Jakerobb!