General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

optispark

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: optispark

Originally Posted by brentbrowning01
Could the hesitation have something to do with that ignition control circuit code 42?

GaryDoug, how do I operate the "Chart" section and the "Actuators" in the Scan9495 program.
I have looked at Codes 41 and 42 lately to see if I can figure out what is happening exactly. I just added an ignition setup to my 94 pcm rig and it includes a coil, ICM, and spark tester.
I found that code 41 or 42 is a failure of the electrical load on the pcm output to the ICM. It is expecting a value of about 10000 ohms at the ICM's input terminal. If it is much higher, the pcm sets code 41 (open). If lower, it sets code 42 (shorted). It is possible that neither condition will stop the ICM from working. Either the ICM you have is out of spec for the input resistance or there is some contamination on it, or on the wiring somewhere, that is dragging down the resistance value. If it isn't already clean, try removing the grime, oil, or water from the ICM, especially inside the connector. It probably won't affect the operation of it however.
Of the three ICM's I have examined lately (all cheap), I can tell you that those parts had extremely cheap parts that could easily be out of spec.

For the charts display, just make sure the Enable Charting box at the bottom is checked. Then, using the 4 drop-down boxes at the top, select the item you want to display for Channels 1 through 4. The scan must be in progress for anything to appear normally.

For Actuators, click on the Actuators button. Reposition and/or resize the Actuators window to suit your screen.The scan must be in progress. Check the item you want to turn on (or off). Only one item can be selected at a time. You can practice using the MIL or the Fans easily since both can be immediately verified. To clear any actuators and return to normal operation, either stop the scan or click on Reset All.

Brent: I want to make sure you understand that in the screenshots you posted above, you are NOT scanning. The Connect button will do only one scan and will then stop, waiting for you to click on the Scan button. After clicking on Scan to start that, the button will change to Stop.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 12-03-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 PM

GaryDoug, I've never done any kind of code scanning what so ever but with this program I am really enjoying seeing what's going on with my car. Especially being able to see it in real time. Thank you for this program and answering my questions that you have probably answered a million times to other people.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Not sure if you want to take a look at what I logged tonight but if you do, here it is.