General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

oops :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 AM

oops :(

i got to start my car today for the first time in ~1 week. I was a bit too happy about that, and while it was still cold, revved the engine a bit (not going over 3k rpm, but still a bad idea), i heard something like a snapping sound. there were pops fro mthe exhaust because of the AIR system, and it sounded like those, but louder and sharper. after that, the car seemed to want to die, and idled around 300-400rpm. if i kept it at normal RPMs with the throttle, it sounded perfectly fine. i turned off the engine, and after turning it back on about a minute later, everything was fine. it was as if nothing had ever happened. im still a bit worried. has anybody ever had this happen, or have any idea of whats going on? thanks/
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 AM

Re: oops :(

sounds like a bit of back fire possibly, not a big deal, although backfire is more common in older cars. Id say check gas and tune up soon. are u running supreme gas? its not a must nut I highly recommend. I wouldn't worry about it, take it for a spin around block and see what happens. Also try and start the car every couple of days just to keep everything up
Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 AM

Re: oops :(

it must have been that. the car has not been streetable since the occurence. finally got it done today, and went for a ride, forgetting all about the problem (clever, i know). i drove the crap out of it, and it didnt miss a beat. it does seem like it could have been a backfire, but i dont really get why that caused the very odd idle afterwards. oh, and yes, ive only ever used 93 octane since i got the car.