General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Oil Checking procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:54 PM

Oil Checking procedure

Okay okay..i know you guys will never let me live this one down..but i gotta ask ya..Is there a specific procedure for checking the oil?? I'm assuming that its a deeper sump than most motors, so do you have to run the car first to get an accurate reading?? or can you do it while its cold? Also how long do you wait after a drive to get an accurate reading?? It seems that if i check it cold..i get 1 reading..if i check it right after a drive i get another reading..if i wait 5 or 10 minutes i get a different reading..i dont think i've found a way to get a consistent reading...so what is the trick? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:39 PM

Pull dipstick, wipe.

Re-insert.

Pull dipstick, check level.

Re-insert.

No?

To answer your question though, I think it's best (most accurate) to check the level once the car has been sitting for a few minutes so that all the oil has drained back to the oil pan. If you run the engine, shut it off, and check right away, you'll get a "false" low reading, because there will still be more oil up in the top of the engine that hasn't drained to the pan yet.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 PM

I always check mine about 10 minutes after driving.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:59 AM

The owners manual recommends waiting something like 5 minutes after the car has run.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Just be consistant.

If you set your oil level with the car stone cold, do that each time. If it's after coming up to temp and sitting for 5 minutes, then do that each time.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:14 PM

haha..yea i know it sounds like such a dumb question..but i just didnt wanna check it cold..get a low reading, add oil, and be over filling it..Cuz i know on my dirtbike..if you check it cold, it wont register anything..so you could easily overfill by a quart or so, just from not using the right "checking procedure"...but okay thanks for the help. appreciate it..
Old 05-19-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by NoSlowCamaro
i know on my dirtbike..if you check it cold, it wont register anything
Then I think you would want to add more oil?!??? The oil level should always be highest when an engine is cold (I mean, after it's been sitting for a long time) because it's had time for the oil to drain back to the pan (or bottom of the crankcase in your dirtbike?) and you can check the level there. When the engine is running, or just after it's been run, you will see a lower level since the oil is going to be spread throughout the motor. That doesn't make sense that there is no level on your bike until you run it? I think the oil you're seeing there is probably oil that flows past the dipstick, but isn't an accurate measurement of what's really inside?? (unless that's what the book says to do, but it doesn't make sense to me? ).
Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 PM

Ahh sorry dude..i forget to mention an important part about the dirtbike...Its a drysump. It stores the oil in the frame. When the bike sits for a night or so, the oil drains outta the frame, through the oil line, into the crankcase. The dipstick is located on the frame. So in order to get any reading at all, you have to start the bike, and allow the oil to be pumped from the crankcase back into the frame, than you check the oil..Trust me..it scared the crap outta me when i first got it..I changed the oil, went out the next day..and there was nothing on the dipstick...than found out i had to start it first..So alright man thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:13 PM

Oh, ok........that makes sense.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:56 PM

The oil only takes about 5 min to completely drain back into the oil pan doesn't it? And when I say completely.. I mean as much that will, not ALL of it will because it will be in various passages etc.. Anyway, the highest oil reading should be after the engine has been fully warmed up and then shut down for 5 min. That way the oil has drained back but is still hot. Is that not why there is a "hot" and "cold" mark on the dipstick and the hot mark is above the cold one? (there is a hot and cold mark right?? Or have completely I lost it?)

Thats at least what I always though
Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 PM

Re: Oil Checking procedure

Originally posted by NoSlowCamaro
Is there a specific procedure for checking the oil?? Thanks.
Are you talking about your car or checking YOUR oil?
j/k
Old 05-20-2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by 1996 | Z28 SS
Is that not why there is a "hot" and "cold" mark on the dipstick and the hot mark is above the cold one? (there is a hot and cold mark right?? Or have completely I lost it?)
You're thinking of auto tranny dipsticks. Engine oil simply has a range, from "add" to "full".