General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Odd Suggestion for Free HP...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:01 PM

Odd Suggestion for Free HP...

ok... before I start.. this is NOT my idea, nor do I think it will work. But it souds very interesting (if it does work) So don't go flaming me!

Through a friend of a friend... I was told a trick for gaining some free HP on fuel injected cars.

The idea is... block off the fuel return line, so that the fuel being pumped to the injectors HAS to be used, therefore more power.

Being that, I assumed (if it was true) the only downside would be TERRIBLE gas milage. (IF it was true...)

Now the only reason I didn't completely burst out laughing at this was because, this came from a somewhat credible source. Certainly not some teenager.. but a 50ish year old guy, who's built engines etc (not exactly sure what his profession is/was)

I just don't see it working.. because for one, if it did work, then how come I have never heard that idea on this board? I mean... we all love free HP... certainly if this was true, we would be all over it.

Maybe even the middle man conveyed the idea wrong, and the guy he said it's comming from really meant something else...

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Odd Suggestion for Free HP...

The factor that limits HP in an engine is the air flow, not the fuel flow. Its very easy to add as much fuel as you want, and you do that by adjusting the computer tune, not by stopping up the fuel return line.

You can add all the fuel you want, and all you will do is richen the A/F ratio and reduce power and torque. You maximize the air flow with the intake, heads, cam, etc. Then you add the required fuel to reach maybe a 12.8-13.2:1 A/F ratio. Any richer than that, and you will lose power and torque.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The factor that limits HP in an engine is the air flow, not the fuel flow. Its very easy to add as much fuel as you want, and you do that by adjusting the computer tune, not by stopping up the fuel return line.

You can add all the fuel you want, and all you will do is richen the A/F ratio and reduce power and torque. You maximize the air flow with the intake, heads, cam, etc. Then you add the required fuel to reach maybe a 12.8-13.2:1 A/F ratio. Any richer than that, and you will lose power and torque.
Thats exactly what I was wondering... I was thinking to myself "Well the limiting factor would be the AIR... not the fuel... so how would adding more fuel somehow increase the airflow, so that the a/f ratio is still in the correct range..."

Thanks! Thats the kind of answer I needed
Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Injuneer always has staight up anwsers.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Basicly closing off the return line is what the FPR is for.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:30 AM

pfft what does Injuneer know anyhow, with his slow *** car

Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sabre81
pfft what does Injuneer know anyhow, with his slow *** car

Yup.... just a silly old fart