General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

not your typical turn signal issue: 1998 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 PM

not your typical turn signal issue: 1998 trans am

Picked up this car, things are all good with it, however I can't seem to solve a problem with the turn signals. It's acting like a burned out bulb, but they all seem to be working. With the key in the on position, the left signal works properly, and the right signal indicator comes on constant, but doesn't blink. I have tried replacing both flasher units under the dash and no change.

now.. if you turn the headlights on, the left indicator lamp comes on (even when you haven't touched the turn signal lever) so the light stays on, and neither turn signal works.. very odd. I am going to be selling this car. I'd like to get this strange electrical gremin solved before I sell it if possible. Any ideas? i have only owned the car for a couple months. I'm making a 30th anniversary clone. There were probably a few prior owners. I know someone added some wierd interior flourescent lighting, I removed all the wiring I came across.

any help is appreciated.

thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Re: not your typical turn signal issue: 1998 trans am

I've seen this before on classic vehicles where someone has messed with the wiring at the turn signal connectors at the corners of the vehicle, usually causing poor grounds at one or more of the lights.

Check to see if any wiring work has been done, perhaps a PO may have added wiring for aftermarket lamps on the running lights circuit?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 AM

+1 on open grounds to dual filament type bulbs. When the ground from the bulb does not go to chassis ground the voltage flows from one filament of the bulb to the common ground internal to the bulb and then through the other filament (because chassis ground is missing). This causes weird problems because +12 v low current is now applied to inactive circuits. Sometimes both lights illuminate when only one is turned on, lights don't work when turned on, lights are dimmer or brighter. It all depends what ground is opened. Most problems are caused by corroded or messed up sockets, Need to get into the sockets and check them out.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM

my 97 camaro does this crap to. with no lights on, drl illuminates right turn signal only, replaced left bulb and drl only lights one filiment on the bulb so its more like a parking light only. no matter what I do the left signal will not flash however the rear left turn signal will light up but not flash.

It all happened after I hit a real bad pothole and it jarred the front of the car real good. I know from the drl's being on all the time it has turned my pigtails a brownish color and I'm wondering if the left one has internally shorted or melted causing this problem.

The drl works normally as is turning my lights on and off automatically ... Kinda sounds like O/P's car doing just the opposite side of mine is all.