General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

not starting or turning over

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM

not starting or turning over

My 95 Z28 is having trouble starting. The security light comes on quite a bit but even when it does not go on it still wont start. The battery(red top) is brand new and the alternator is pretty new. The starter is also good. I think it may be an issue with the wiring because of the previous owners performance mod but I'm not sure how to check. please help...
Old 09-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Re: not starting or turning over

Don't assume that new parts are good parts. They're the next most likely to be bad, after really old parts.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM

I did consider that but this is the first time it would not start. The only part that I replaced that would possibly effect it starting was the alternator and once its going it runs fine I really think its a wiring issue its just odd because I have no blown fuses so i don't know where to start looking.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 AM

I'm confused,what was the previous owner performance mod?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Administrator

When you try to start it, does the "SECURITY" light flash, or stay on for an extended period?

When you turn the key to "start", exactly what happens? Does the starter engage and crank the engine. Does the starter sound "normal" or does it sound like it's straining under excessive load? When the starter cranks, does the engine sound like it's trying to start? Does it sometimes start instantly on the turn of the key, and other times take a lot of cranking before it starts. Are there times when it totally refuses to start?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 AM

Well sometimes it does different things. The worst is when I turn the key and it does nothing and all I hear is a very faint ticking that seems like its coming from the glove compartment. sometimes it turns over but sounds very strained like it barely starts. And sometimes it starts right up. its pretty random and whether the engine is hot or cold does not seem to matter.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Administrator

When you replaced the battery, did you clean any corrosion off the wire ends, and inspect the wires for corroded wire strands?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you replaced the battery, did you clean any corrosion off the wire ends, and inspect the wires for corroded wire strands?
Yes I did I used the brushes from a weapons cleaning kit. Iv'e been tinkering and I think it might have something to do with the radio it has been running fine since I removed the face plate
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM

OK its at it again pretty much the same problem its not the radio.. I installed a new starter and today I'm going to bypass the V.A.T.S. I turn the key and I hear a sorta loud ticking it sounds like the starter trying to engage but I'm not 100% sure I tried taking it to mechanics and they are useless. Please guys I really love my car and would love to keep it for a long time and hopefully rebuild the whole engine and stuff when i save up enough.