General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Not another overheating issue 95 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 PM

Re: Not another overheating issue 95 z28

Glad it's not a cracked head.If it were me(man,what an op(PORT)unity)I would have the heads ported and the intake manifold as well.I would definitely put a new egr valve on the intake manifold as it is a bear to install later on.Check the health of the radiator.All new hoses,make sure they are super tight.I would also install a new genuine GM thermostat in the water pump as everything is apart anyway.Pull the coolant sensor out of the waterpump and check it for crud or replace it(GM).I'm sure I've forgotten something ,also use new gaskets everywhere.The stock throttle body is good for up to 350-400hp I think.Some folks years ago did 12.9 sec in the quarter with the 48mm tb.with mild builds.There are more seasoned members here I hope will chime in to help(or correct me).But if were me,I'd go to town on this one.My02.Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Stock head/intake porting, at reasonable prices, plus a custom matched cam:

http://elliottsportworks.com/

How many miles on the engine? "New cylinders", which I assume means boring, is a major undertaking and expensive, because once you go that far, the entire rotating assembly may need upgrading, depending on wear.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks Fatdog and Injuneer for both your input.. I will consider your guy's input, and talking to my main mechanic (gm mechanic) -

Car just hit 50K miles.

Fatdog: I am definitely replacing that waterpump sensor, it's the only part of my entire cooling system I haven't replaced. I've even replaced the heater hoses (which was a bitch and had to goto a SHOP for)

I've also replaced SO Many seals on the car- It was leaking all over the place.. Literally all over the place.. had the tranny dropped to get to some.. I've SO much maintenance on this car.. It SHOULD be doing better then it is. I could type all day about what has been done.. I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Ok fellas,

Considering all of the feedback/input I have received on and off this forum, as well as speaking to my mechanic and running numbers - To keep my current motor in my car - Have the gasket replaced and do any and all work that I want to the car it would be in the long run especially silly of me to go this route ( considering the work the last couple of years i've done to this motor) - At some point i should of called it, pulled it out and reworked the motor. But I didn't. I fixed this, fixed that, dropped the tranny here - replaced seals here etc. I ASSUMED the motor was fine and only needed some minor work - I got the car from its original owner with 40xxx something miles and figured it was ok. The car had other plans for me..

I am right now, looking and doing research on a good 52mm TB - 24/h Injectors are easy.. but to get the right TB as closely built as I can BECAUSE......

I am buying a new motor... I've been thinking and researching this idea for over a year and this is the perfect opportunity to get rid of problematic motor and get into a built 383 motor with a cc503 cam I want - im actually debating on going full forged internals or not - its kinda up in the air because where I sit now im looking @ 5k .... Mechanic is looking over the build specs and going to talk to the builder Monday for me and see if im forgetting anything I need to upgrade.. Im literally going over every part in the build and reading the reviews.. Taking alot of time.. But I think im ready... I just wish i knew more about this ****.. Sucks being in a sandwich between 2 career Mechanics and I know the bare minimum...

Anywho that is all.. Questions/Feedback im welcome to it..

Last edited by ecthemc; 11-18-2016 at 07:32 PM.