General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Newb Here looking for a little info :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM

Newb Here looking for a little info :)

Ok so i recently came into a 95 z28 camaro. White with a black top (non-convertible i heard it was a rare color combo????) Has the LT1 rear gears and the auto tranny have been re-done. Needs a new headgasket on the passenger bank i believe, and a starter (since the nose cone shattered off). Basically im just looking for a little info pretaining to things such as, what is a T-56 (engine code i presume?) And just small things like what other OEM parts will fit this car. I consider myself pretty mechanically Inclined so just give me what you know basically.

The body is in decent shape, couple dents and scrapes nothing too major just looking to get a bit more scoot out of her and clean it up a bit. If anyone can point me in a general direction to get the full low down on this car that would be fantastic, also something backing up the fact it is a rarer model due to the paint combo.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Newb Here looking for a little info :)

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!

The T56 is a Borg-Warner (now Tremec) 6-speed manual transmission that was used in all the 4th Gen V8 models with manual transmission.

You indicate you have an automatic. That is a GM 4L60E 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled by the PCM (computer).

Not sure what you mean by "Has the LT1 rear gears". "LT1" is the 5.7L (350ci) V8 engine that is installed in all Z28 93-97 4th Gen models. With an automatic transmission, your car left the factory with either 2.73:1 or 3.23:1 rear axle ratio. You can tell which by looking for the RPO codes on the build parts tag in the glove box or on the end of the driver's side door. Or go here and enter the VIN:

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

You will get complete build info on your car.

For more "scoot", start reading the posts on the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum. The LT1 is a potent engine, and can easily produce 500HP at the flywheel, or over 1,000HP if you really want to invest in it. But using any kind of increased power will take upgrades to the drivetrain, suspension and chassis.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM

hahah i forgot my punctuation on the how it was supposed to read is "It has the LT1, the rear gears have been re done" lol. Thank you very much for the response.

For the time being i will need to be replacing the starter and tires haha.

One thing that didnt get answered, the color combo....white with the black hard top...no t-tops...is this truely a rare edition because i have not seen one like this.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

A decent reference:

4th Generation (1993 - Present)

I'll check the colors in the "Camaro White Book". I believe in 93 and 94, the black roof and mirrors were standard on all Z28's. I think in 95 they made a choice available between body color roof (optional) and black roof (standard). I don't know why a white/black combo would be rare with or without T-tops, and I doubt the White Book breaks it down to that level of detail. But I'll see what's there. This is coming from a Firebird owner, so I could be wrong on the top colors. The FAQ link I posted does confirm what I said though.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 AM

Thank you that has helped quite a bit, currently the car is sitting in my garage waiting for a new starter to be put in/ (Quite the task of fitting it out of there aswell)

As far as the rarity of the color combo it seems that would just come down to how many people actually ordered them that way. One more quick question, pulling the headliner, easy or not so much? The cloth is hanging and resting on my head and its starting to get annoying. Simple couple hr job?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 95WhiteZ28LT1
One more quick question, pulling the headliner, easy or not so much? The cloth is hanging and resting on my head and its starting to get annoying. Simple couple hr job?

Yes very simple. Remove front A-pillar plastics, coat hangers on B-pillars and pull out B-pillar plastics a little at the top, dome light, the plastic trim pieces where the seat belts come out, sun visors and the push clip in the center of the headliner(which may or may not be there on the hardtop.)

Once you get it out of the car, tear off the old fabric and take a stiff bristle brush or wire brush and clean off all the old foam from the headliner board. You will want to wear gloves of some type as I believe the headliner board is compressed fiberglass insulation. You can go to a fabric store, like Jo-ann fabrics, and get headliner material. Its a foam backed fabric piece. (I believe when I did mine it was about 60" by 60" piece, also a nice time to pick a color to customize with, as you probably wont be able to match the original color.) Get 2 cans of Trim Adhesive(possibly 3 cans, my t-top headliner took 2 cans.) Spray both the headliner board and the back of the headliner material. Let it get a little tacky and stick it on, starting in the center working out, making sure its nice and smooth with no wrinkles and wrap around the edges about 1". Once the adhesive has had some time to set up you can take a razor blade and trim off the excess on the back side and the holes for seatbelts, dome light and visors. Then re-install.

Took me about 2 hrs, taking my time, and about $45 worth of materials( spray adhesive was the most expensive.) I changed my color to black. When I went to the fabric store, I brought one of my visors to try and match the original beige as close as possible. IIRC they had Tan, Black and Gray. Ended going black because the tan was just not close enough for my liking. You can always have it dyed if you want it original, but it wasnt worth my time to have it dyed.

Good luck and post up if you have any other Q's.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Thank you guys very much, thinking im going to go with a suede headliner. I have a friend who used to do alot of custom headliner work to give me a hand.

Off to get a new starter and get her back on the road, again thanks guys