General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New User Looking for a little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM

New User Looking for a little help

Hey All -

I'm new here just looking for some help on my possible purchase. I haven't had a Camaro since my high school '88, but I've always dreamed of having the 30 Anniversary addition. I'm looking to purchase a 1997 30th Anniversary Camaro Convertible, white/hugger orange anniversary addition. I've verified everything and I know it's an official Z28 30th Anniversary Edition. The only thing I can get over is that it has been repainted. No body work, just complete paint job. It looks good in and out with 64,000 miles and 6 speed manual trans. All stock. What would you all say is the value of this car?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Re: New User Looking for a little help

Let's copy this to a forum where you will have a better chance of responses.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Re: New User Looking for a little help

Welcome to the forum. I purchased my 97 Z4C last September. The old saying goes "the value is how much someone is willing to pay for it".

A properly done paint job shouldn't be a problem unless you're looking for one with original paint. My seats need to be redone, the original leather is cracking and worn. Very few people would stick with them for their originality, most would reupholster (like I will). The car is yours - once you buy it - to do anything you want to it. Keep it original, do some slight mods, do some heavy mods, completely change it ... that's up to you. Having been repainted I'd want to know if it had body damage that was repaired and if so how well was it repaired.

As for the mileage it's fairly low. Mine had 139,000 on the clock. Also determining value is the market you're in. It seems in Texas we value our Camaro's a little more (maybe because driving weather is better and most cars are rust free) than other regions of the country. I had a hard time finding one in my price range that wasn't trashed by previous owners, any that didn't have problems that required a lot of work to fix.

I'll throw a wild guess out there. If the car is proper, top is good, paint, body, drivetrain, interior, etc is all good then it's probably worth $5,000-$8,000 depending on various factors. Not saying you can't grab it for $4,000 nor that the seller is asking $15,000. The seller's attitude toward the car determines what he thinks it's worth and your vision on what you want the car to be determines what you think it's worth.

I'll tell you it's easier owning a non-commemorative car. You can do more to them without feeling guilty about changing the identity of the special features and limited availability of them. We're roughly the same age (I graduated HS in 1988) so maybe we have the same ideas about cars, I don't know. This is my first muscle car and I love it. Mine was completely stock when I got it and it still pretty much is with a few alterations. Unlike some I'm hanging on to the things that it came with in case I sell it in the future, it can be transformed back to stock if needed. A standard Z28? Not the same issues as an anniversary edition. Do what you want with a regular Z28.

If we're like minded then you won't want to change the 30th much at all if any. If you're not like me and you do radical stuff to it then I'll say it makes mine that little bit more collectible because there's one less around (if mine stays close to original).

Sorry, I tend to write novels. Hope you're still awake! If you were asking about a regular LT1 Z28 then most of what I've written above doesn't matter much. If the car were a Z4C SS then magnify what I've written (which I know it isn't because it's a 'vert). There's a hierarchy of sorts when it comes to cars. Z4C's are definitely collectibles. How you take that is up to you.