General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

new shifter or shorty stick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Question new shifter or shorty stick?

Ok, I have an 02 SS maro, and I've talked to a few different people about gettin a short stick or gettin somethin nlike the pro 5.0 ripper shifter. a guy i met and his bro both have 01 SS's, one has the 5.0 and one has stealth performances short stick, they both said get the shortstick, as well as a firehawk owner w/the 5.0 ripper....What's wrong with the 5.0 that people arent liking it!?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Alot of people on here have the pro 5.0 and like it, i personally use the hurst unit ( came with my car ) and i made my own short stick and i love it.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:12 PM

I have the Pro 5.0 with a different stick and I absolutely love it!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM

Stock with a LS1Speed short stick
Old 04-09-2004, 03:09 PM

I had a Pro 5.0 and hated it. Sold it off to some kid.

A guy with a 01 WS6 gave me his stock Hurst for free, and I like it a lot more. I'd opt for the H with a short stick.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:07 PM

I couldn't tell you from experience, but I've hard Pro 5.0's have a tendency to break or warp when shifting hard. I have no clue if it's true but you might wanna look into that.

Either way I've never heard too many negative things about Hurst.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 AM

I have had the stock hurst, B&M, and now a Pro 5.0 with a Lou's short stick. PRO 5.0/LSS is the bestin my opinion. HUge difference from hurst, and alot firmer than B&M.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:01 AM

Pro 5.0, ALL the way. You can cut a tad bit off the handle,because theres a couple inches of threads, but getting lou's short stick mated with the Pro 5.0 would probably be your best bet.
Honestly, i don't know how much quicker your shifts are/would be from going to a shorter stick. I have the regular Pro 5.0 stick on my pro 5.0, and when i shifted to second for the first time, literally yelled holy sh|+,because it was SUCH a change from stock.

The only somewhat negative things i have heard about the Pro 5.0,are that if you forget to loctite the shifter bolts,they can come undone during shifting,because diffrent metal expands at diffrent temps,so it may back itself out if you don't Loctite them,which a tube of locktite only costs what, 3 bucks?

It says in the installation instructions to Loctite them, so as long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Only people who ever had problems with that were people who didn't follow the instructions,and skipped the loctite step.

Get the Pro 5.0 for sure,I've heard 100% positve feedback on it,and I can't say that about the other shifter feedback i've seen.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 AM

i have a short stick for sale....

if you have the factory hurst shifter, all you really need is the stick. save the money.

contact me for info on the stick
Old 04-10-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by jdhommert
Pro 5.0, ALL the way. You can cut a tad bit off the handle,because theres a couple inches of threads, but getting lou's short stick mated with the Pro 5.0 would probably be your best bet.
Honestly, i don't know how much quicker your shifts are/would be from going to a shorter stick. I have the regular Pro 5.0 stick on my pro 5.0, and when i shifted to second for the first time, literally yelled holy sh|+,because it was SUCH a change from stock.

The only somewhat negative things i have heard about the Pro 5.0,are that if you forget to loctite the shifter bolts,they can come undone during shifting,because diffrent metal expands at diffrent temps,so it may back itself out if you don't Loctite them,which a tube of locktite only costs what, 3 bucks?

It says in the installation instructions to Loctite them, so as long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Only people who ever had problems with that were people who didn't follow the instructions,and skipped the loctite step.

Get the Pro 5.0 for sure,I've heard 100% positve feedback on it,and I can't say that about the other shifter feedback i've seen.
The only thing worse than having a shifter lever come off while driving is having a steering wheel come off...and that's bad
Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Florida_Z28_Boy
The only thing worse than having a shifter lever come off while driving is having a steering wheel come off...and that's bad
That reminds me of the time I saw a guy driving a wasted '66 Ford pickup with no driver's door and using vise grips for a steering wheel. Just unreal.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by eddyj
That reminds me of the time I saw a guy driving a wasted '66 Ford pickup with no driver's door and using vise grips for a steering wheel. Just unreal.
Wow that's bad, and scary
Old 04-11-2004, 01:04 PM

The only negative thing that I can say about the Pro 5.0 is in my opinion, the angled stick that comes with it SUCKS! After I installed the Pro, I wouldn't even drive the car until I purchased another stick.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by carlos64030
The only negative thing that I can say about the Pro 5.0 is in my opinion, the angled stick that comes with it SUCKS! After I installed the Pro, I wouldn't even drive the car until I purchased another stick.
That's not good either.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:18 PM

what kind of feel does the 5.0 give you? is it overall a shorter and stiffer shift? whats the feel diff between that and stock hurst? and does hurst make a better upgrade?

Quick Reply: new shifter or shorty stick?