General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New owner to Z28, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM

New owner to Z28, Need advice!

I recently bought a 95 Z28, and we didn't do as much of a check as we should have on the car from the dealer. It has aftermarket headers, exhaust, cold air intake, and transmission (automatic). When I went to get the oil changed the first time today, the worker brought us into the shop to look at the under body. He said that all four corners of the unibody are rotting out, and that we really need to do something soon. I need to know what the best solution is so I can budget it out to save it. Also, they said something isn't right somewhere with the car, it's not running to it's full potential. It should be running faster.

Aside from the structure problems, there's a few other things that I'm unsure of what I need to do to try and fix it (other than some things obviously needing replaced)...
I know it has a broken O2 sensor, and it needs replaced, as well as something possibly being wrong with the converter. Also, the transmission is slipping from first to second, and free reving while still gaining speed. It does this more than shift normally if you lay into it.

It's a jasper transmission, and the exhaust/headers is Hooker/BBK. I'm not sure on cold air intake, I'm still new to the car industry. So, I'm not sure if this helps, but it's all information I've been given. I really need the advice/help! I've been waiting years to finally get one of these cars, and now that I have it I don't want to let it slip through my hands. I want to build her and make her into what she really should be.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Re: New owner to Z28, Need advice!

The broken O2 sensor and the slipping trans could certainly limit the performance of the vehicle. Fix the obvious faults first. Have you scanned it for codes? Have you checked the fuel pressure? How many miles on it? There are codes that set in the PCM for transmission problems, but they don't turn on the SES light, so you don't know they are there unless you scan it.

As far the "rot" on all four corners, you're going to have to post pictures. I don't think I've seen any reports of front end problems. The shock towers are integral with the unit body, and would take a major surgical replacement. As far as I know, no one is making a replacement for various 4th Gen unibody sections. I have seen some reports of heavy corrosion on the rear of the car, but again, you need to provide more details of the specific areas and degree of destruction.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Car has about 139,500 miles. I'm not sure on it's exact history, as I just found out these things yesterday and have only had it for about the past 2000 miles I've put on it. As for pictures, I will have to take some later. When it was inspected, he said it looked like the car was in a wreck because of how the four points were rusting out. I suppose corroding is the better word, didn't think of it.

It just had a fresh oil change yesterday though, so there shouldn't be pressure problems as far as I know. As far as codes/scanning the tranny, I'd have to look into it.. Like I said I'm still new, honestly first car that I've owned. So I'm trying my best to describe the damages. The shop also was saying it was corroding into the very bottom of the floor boards if that gives any help. I'm probably going to get the sensor fixed today though, so I'll have to see if I can take pictures when that happens.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Just saw there's a reply button to your comment.. don't know everything about this forum yet, so maybe this gives you a notification. lol.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Administrator

You're posting correctly.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
As far the "rot" on all four corners, you're going to have to post pictures.
The 4 corners he's talking about are where the connection points from frame and floor
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Administrator

It's a unibody car- no separate frame. It has"subframes" that are boxed sheet metal structural elements that are integrated into the body sheet metal. The front and rear suspension bolt to these boxed sections. The front suspension cradle also holds the engine.

Without photos it's going to be almost impossible to help.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Name:  ResizedImage_1388165954411_zps4a79cd3d.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1388165938569_zpsf3c1315f.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1388171608654_zpsad5b0020.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM

That car looks to be headed for structural failure. There is bad decay in some high stress areas (like in front of the rear control arms, plus the front subframe structure). If the drivetrain is good, I would be looking for another body. Repair for that would be major and expensive.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Administrator

The shop is correct. That's a disaster. I'd write it off. Is this a snow belt car that's lived it's life in heavy salt?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Take your car back to the dealership that you purchased it from !!!
"Lemon law " if he does not give your money back he should credit the amount that you paid
for it on another car .... sorry to see that
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Lemon law may or may not apply on a used car. He needs to check the lemon law in his state. There may be other laws that apply to selling an unsafe car, as that car appears to be.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

I live in Ohio, drive it in the snow... I'm not sure about the past life of the car. It was purchased as is from a dealership here. So.. I don't think it'd do anything to go back if Ohio has Lemon Laws. I found sub frame ties on Jegs.. and my only question is is it worth buying sub frame ties for this car, would it be any form of a fix, or no? I feel like I'm being led on because some people keep telling me that's the way to go and others say to just let it go. I'm asking for an honest answer so I know whether or not to just drive it til it stops and try to save for a new one or if there's anything that will make it even remotely savable..
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 PM

You must have good metal to attach sub frame connectors to. You don't seem to have much in that department. Honestly, that car looks unsafe.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Subframe connectors will probably speed up the destruction. A bump in the front suspension will pull at the subframe connectors, putting stress on the already rotted connection between the rear LCA subframe and the chassis. From an engineering point of view, there is nothing you can do.

Given the absolute unsafe condition of the vehicle, you may have recourse, even if you bought it "as is". Check with an attorney.

Quick Reply: New owner to Z28, Need advice!