General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New to Camaro scene

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

New to Camaro scene

Last time I was into things we still had carbs...lol
I stumbled upon a 1995 z28 one owner who was 50 something when he bought it.
He just sold it to me cause a tree fell on his garage. Replaced hood and winshield.
According to him and later verified he bought it as a 1995 leftover and had the slp mods done to it aside from suspension before he took it home. Has slp catback...intake...something changed in intake as well...plus hypertech programming with 160 degree stat. Car has 160k....but if you saw the condition if i told you 30k you would believe me. Garaged and covered all its life...not a mark or wear anywhere outside or in. Original books...cassette demo tape and keys remotes including credit card brass key. He says hp is over 305...buy from what i read that is 96 ss specs not including hypertech programming....what would accurate guess on hp be?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Re: New to Camaro scene

Some pics CamaroZ28.Com Message Board - proline's Album: 1995 z28
Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 PM

Btw....he kept service records in manual up until i bought it..always serviced at dealer every 3k....he said head gaskets redone at 135k and had them redo heads as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!

Looks good, in nice shape. Good find.

Flywheel HP on the 95 is 275 HP. With a cold air intake, catback, 160-degF t'stat, and revised fan on/off temps, it's conceivable that the flywheel HP is now in the vicinity of 300-305 HP.

Other than the ability to reset the fan on/off temps when using the 160 t'stat, which does produce a measurable performance increase, the Hypertech "power tuning" does not produce much in the way of HP gains. It is useful for resetting rev limiter, top speed limiter, changing rear axle ratio, shift points with the automatic trans, etc.

You would gain a bit more HP with a mail order tune from a knowledgable LT1 tuner.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks bro....actually going to a car show next month. I manage a body shop and we do work for a local chevy dealer who saw the car and told me to bring it to their show.
Also met a customer yesterday who was checking out the car and turns out his brother worked for slp for 20 years before being let go recently. He was amazrd by car and said it may have been his brother who worked on it. I work in NJ so only a slight coincidence stumbling upon that.
one thing i just realized is this guy must have never beat on the car. Pulled out of toll booth wide open and rev limiter kicked in before shift to 2nd. Looked in hypertech manual and he must have just picked all max settings not relizing he has shift points at a higher rpm than rev limiter....lol. slightly backed off throttle...tranny shifts fine.
Who is good for proper tunes?
Basically its just gonna be a sunday driver...driven like an old man like the guy who owned it but nice to know its there just in case. 😉
For now gonna reprogram it for 6k shifts and set limiter slightly higher...,read on hypertech site 6k was sweet spot for quarter mile times.

Last edited by proline; 08-27-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator

The number of people who tune the LT1 is declining. One of the more popular tuners who still does the LT1 is:

Home | PCM for Less

I've never used a mail order tuner, so I don't know any of them personally, just going by feedback I've seen over the past 15 years on this site.

For a basically stock engine, 6,000 RPM is bit high.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Turns out shift problem was not tune....am thinking valve body. Scanner shows good voltage and range to tps and maf. Makes it to 53 mph before banging rev limiter so I am guessing clutches are not slipping otherwise it would slip beforehand. Anyone come across same problem?