General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need some help with optispark and overheating issues

Old 08-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Need some help with optispark and overheating issues

94 zip lt1 auto. All stock as far as we know.
We are about to put the 4th optispark in this car in less them 4 months. (One of them went due to the new water pump busting and soaking it)
The car runs excellent for a couple weeks after we replace the opti, and then the nightmare returns. Runs rough, hitches, shuts down while driving eCT.
Does anyone have any ideas why it would be killing these distributor units?

The other question I have is this.
If it idles to long or we drive around town under 30 mph for more then ten mimutes it gets real hot. Not into the red but close. The fans are working the t Stat is new as well as the water pump. Any suggestions?

Thanks I'm advance for any help
Old 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Re: Need some help with optispark and overheating issues

What brand Optispark are you buying?

Have you examined the failed units to see what part is failing? Have you scanned it for codes when the problems start? The key fatal code for the Opti cam position sensor failure, DTC 16, does not turn on the SES light.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maromom

The other question I have is this.
If it idles to long or we drive around town under 30 mph for more then ten mimutes it gets real hot. Not into the red but close. The fans are working the t Stat is new as well as the water pump. Any suggestions?
Had similar problem once, but mine went into red. When you changed the water pump, did you follow the factory bleeding procedure using the water bleed screws? I had forgot to bleed the system correctly, and got an air pocket in the driver side cylinder head. The instrument panel temp gauge reads the temp from a sensor in that cylinder head. But the PCM reads coolant temp from a sensor on the water pump. Once I bled the system correctly - problem solved. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cheapchevy
Had similar problem once, but mine went into red. When you changed the water pump, did you follow the factory bleeding procedure using the water bleed screws? I had forgot to bleed the system correctly, and got an air pocket in the driver side cylinder head. The instrument panel temp gauge reads the temp from a sensor in that cylinder head. But the PCM reads coolant temp from a sensor on the water pump. Once I bled the system correctly - problem solved. Hope this helps.
We did use the proper bleeding system. A couple times now just to be sure
Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What brand Optispark are you buying?

Have you examined the failed units to see what part is failing? Have you scanned it for codes when the problems start? The key fatal code for the Opti cam position sensor failure, DTC 16, does not turn on the SES light.
We've used a few different brands now, advanced auto car quest and eBay cheap. Another car quest in it now and no they haven't been examined to my knowledge
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Have you had DTC 16 for any of the failed units?