Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Garage
Need some help identifying these parts?...

Hello, let me start by telling a little about my problems. i have had this car about 3 weeks now. i just recently had a chance to start going through it and trying to bring life back into it. upon removing part of the dash and lower dash panels, i have noticed that some of the electronics have either been modified or botched up. this all came after noticing that my passenger side power window switch would not hardly work. my dome light will not work either as well as my radio, reading lights on the rear mirror, keyless entry and alarm. i also have no dinging when the key is in the ignition or the lights left on. i figured i would try and run down some of the wiring under the dash and need some help identifying several components and wires. i took pictures that i think will show what i am concerned about.....
Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Stephen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

Re: Need some help identifying these parts?...

Are you good at electrical schematics and wiring.. what I would suggest is download the free service manuals or purchase a GM set of service manuals. Start with one problem and try to fix it. To me repairing under dash wiring is a tedious and time consuming process. Your first pic looks like a Theft Deterrent relay bypass, from pic it looks incorrect. If it's what I think, your car will start in gear with that yellow jumped to purple. Does it ?? Correct way would be to tie smaller yellow/black to a ground (allows relay pick w/o VAT's key) . ref page 8A-30-0 of service manual

Last edited by bobdec; 08-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
bobdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdec View Post
Are you good at electrical schematics and wiring.. what I would suggest is download the free service manuals or purchase a GM set of service manuals. Start with one problem and try to fix it. To me repairing under dash wiring is a tedious and time consuming process. Your first pic looks like a Theft Deterrent relay bypass, from pic it looks incorrect. If it's what I think, your car will start in gear with that yellow jumped to purple. Does it ?? Correct way would be to tie smaller yellow/black to a ground (allows relay pick w/o VAT's key) . ref page 8A-30-0 of service manual
Thanks bobdec for the reply. as far as my car starting in gear i havent tried it but will. what is the purpose of this by pass if that is what it is?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

The TDR is one piece of bypassing the VAT's (security). The TDR blocks the starter activation if key is incorrect. Looks like you have yellow tied to purple that bypasses the TDR. ref this schematic from shobox.com a very good site to know.. http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.jpg . By the way those yellow connectors are usually air bad circuits, they use yellow to warn against possible accidental bag activation.

Last edited by bobdec; 08-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.
bobdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdec View Post
The TDR is one piece of bypassing the VAT's (security). The TDR blocks the starter activation if key is incorrect. Looks like you have yellow tied to purple that bypasses the TDR. ref this schematic from shobox.com a very good site to know.. http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.jpg . By the way those yellow connectors are usually air bad circuits, they use yellow to warn against possible accidental bag activation.
Thanks bobdec, i removed the jumper from the relay and now my car will not start....how is the correct way to fix this? i know i can put the jumper back on it but im sure thats not the correct way lol....Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Garage

i put the jumper back on it to get it running until i can replace the ignition key with a new one. Will this security system prevent my stereo from working? i have tried everything i can think of and it will not get power to the head unit.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Reply Post New Thread