General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need new heads - suggestions for drivability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Need new heads - suggestions for drivability?

Greetings! I have built an engine around a set of TFS-340cc BBC heads and now I realize I have far too much cylinder head (or at least I think). Here's an outline of what I built:

’69 Camaro
ZZ 502 short block, ZZ 502 cam
TFS-340cc heads
Hogan sheet metal intake (LT1 style, short runner)
90mm throttle body
BigStuff3 multiport SEFI

I bought heads with large chambers in order to bring the compression down to 8:1 because at the time I planned to use an ATI F2 supercharger.

Long story short, I started building this as a drag car and now want to salvage it for a fun street driver. I need to improve low end idle and responsiveness, and don’t really care what it does to max power. I want it to start cold, drive easily, idle smoothly, and have crisp throttle response for in-town driving. I’ll spend more time going to the grocery store than the track. Sadly I started building the motor I wanted when I was 18 and now I’m 45, and want to fix it! Rather than ditching the entire investment and putting in an LS, I'm hoping a different head will salvage it.

I’m thinking a head with more velocity and less cam would help, as would a smaller chamber to bring compression back up. If that assumption is correct, the only catch is that the intake was expensive and I’d like to keep it, so that sort of locks me in to rectangular port (and if the 340 ports are relocated, let me know, as the intake was port-matched to them).

Does anyone think there's a head out there that will help? Something that meets these general criteria:

1) Similar combustion chamber size to stock ZZ502 head to bring compression back up to 10:1 or so
2) Good velocity for low end response
3) Still rectangular port so I can keep the intake

If so, I’m also willing (and probably eager) for a cam change as well. Most modern heads can accommodate a lot of lift, so something that takes advantage of the lift capability but without much overlap or reversion would be ideal.

Thanks very much for any direction you can provide!