General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need ideas - droning/light vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM

Need ideas - droning/light vibration at highway speeds

95 formula.

The best I can describe is a droning sound, really becomes noticeable at around 65mph+ , does not get faster or slower depending on speed, it's just there, you can sort of feel the drivers side floor vibrating a little bit, not much, but it can also be felt on pass side (maybe less? hard to tell). it's not my car so it's difficult to know when it started exactly. I believe this has been going on for 80k miles or so, never got worse, it's just there and annoying

- STOPS when turning left (like switching lanes to left)
- does not stop when turning right
- always there when going straight
- not there at slow speeds or idle

- 220k on the car

- transmission rebuilt (noise was there prior IIRC), when the shop that rebuilt it took the car for a drive they immediately said that we have a noisy rear axle, I know it's old, 220k , original bearings and all and likely leaks some fluids but I just can't seem to think that noise is coming from the back, it seems more like from front.

- new u-joints - did not help
- balljoints are new
- front struts are newer KYBs

- car cracked stock rubber trans mount, so we put a poly trans mount in which was VERY NOISY, we quickly threw that out and put back a rubber one. I wonder if the transmission is not centered perfectly? would that matter?

- when I did LS1 front brake swap some *** sold me front spindles from crashed car, I had to replace the pass. one as it was obviously bent, but I wonder if maybe he drivers side is little tweaked too?

- tire wear is normal, at least nothing I notice out of the ordinary.