General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

need help please

so i got my car back from the dealership and everything was running fine and then a couple days later it dosent want to start.. when i turn the key it makes a clankin noise i think its coming from the starter.... this morning i tried to start it and now i dont get any power, no dash lights or nothing. my guess is there is a short somewhere in this system or i have to replace the starter? what do you guys think i hate playing the guessing game with this car its driving me insane.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Re: need help please

What was it at the dealership for
Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller94
What was it at the dealership for
optispark job... well good news i returned the battery and got a new one and it started right up... i noticed on the old battery and positive(red terminal) that it has burn marks as if one of the wires from the positive terminal is burning up and therefore killing my batterys. should i replace the positive terminal? i found out from common sense that it has to be 1 of the 3 wires coming from the positive terminal which is shorting everything out. gimmie your opinions
Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Burn marks generally indicate the terminal was loose and arcing.

The main "+" and "ground" cables should be inspected for corrosion and broken conductors. If you have any doubts, replace them.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Burn marks generally indicate the terminal was loose and arcing.

The main "+" and "ground" cables should be inspected for corrosion and broken conductors. If you have any doubts, replace them.
thank you for clearifying that i cant seem to find the exact cable for my 94 camaro v8 manual. oriellyauto has me confused on which one to order. does this one look correct? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3318&ppt=C0005
Old 01-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Appears to be the correct harness. Thick red goes to the red "+" terminal box on the passenger inner fender, thick black goes to the starter, thin red with boot goes to the alternator. The application basically lists all the V8 models. Trans type is not a factor.

Note that as installed at the factory, the red wires (and maybe the black one) are covered with the black corrugated wire looms.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:47 PM

Appears to be the correct harness. Thick red goes to the red "+" terminal box on the passenger inner fender, thick black goes to the starter, thin red with boot goes to the alternator. The application basically lists all the V8 models. Trans type is not a factor.

Note that as installed at the factory, the red wires (and maybe the black one) are covered with the black corrugated wire looms.
thank you, i am going to get some new battery cable bolts that attach to the battery for now as i wait for those to come in. i was scared that i had to replace my starter for some reason thank god i didnt have too.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:33 PM

is there an option to only replace that rubber piece on the + terminal red connector to the battery? as i am very broke right now and need a alternative fix if there is one?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Do you mean just replace the terminal that bolts to the side terminal on the battery. Any auto parts store will have them. Probably won't have the rubber coating, but it will work and its cheap.

Automotive Battery Connectors/Terminals | MSCDirect.com

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 PM

Do you mean just replace the terminal that bolts to the side terminal on the battery. Any auto parts store will have them. Probably won't have the rubber coating, but it will work and its cheap.

Automotive Battery Connectors/Terminals | MSCDirect.com

what is the difference with the rubber coating?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by warmeck
Functionally, nothing. The rubber is there to keep other things from touching the lug.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM

How would i go about putting the wires on the new battery terminal? i just dont want to connect anything wrong.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM

How would i go about putting the wires on the new battery terminal? i just dont want to connect anything wrong.
Remove the old terminal by slitting and peeling it off the end of the cable. Don't cut the cable as it may end up being too short. Clean, bare wire goes under the clamp with the two bolts.