General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need help diagnosing cruise control issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 AM

Need help diagnosing cruise control issue.

When I reach a desired speed ,let's say 55mph,I move the button to the on position,then I press the button at the end of the stick and it locks in perfect,holding the speed at a constant 55.But,when i want to increase the speed a little let's say to 60mph,I move the lever to RA to gain speed but the cruise won't go forward and the cars speed decreases until I release the button.I then turn the cruise off and reboot it back up to where I want it to be ,by setting cruise and hitting the end button for my new desired speed.Has anybody experienced this before?Any answers appreciated.Many thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Re: Need help diagnosing cruise control issue.

Does sliding the switch to the R/A position function in the "resume" mode... for example, you have tapped the brake pedal and cruise control has uncoupled. When you slide the R/A to the right for about 1/2 second, does the cruise re-engage and accelerate the vehicle to to the previous cruise speed setting?

Does the R/A switch function in either of the two "accelerate" modes - 1) slide to R/A and hold until the vehicle reaches the desired higher cruise setting; 2 ) slide to R/A for only 1/2 second, to accelerate about 1 MPH at a time?
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Thank you Injuneer.I'll test again tonight or tomorrow with my results.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 PM

I meant Monday.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 AM

I am trying to remember this (Old Age Has Set In) because my car has been in storage since November (Minnesota Winters) and won't be out until April....But, I know Sliding the R/A tab briefly for 1 mph increases always worked. Slide it 5 times briefly for a 5 mph increase always worked etc.

I do remember sometimes it did not work when I HELD it to increase the speed as you are describing as what happened to you. Sometimes that function worked, but not all the time.

The other thing mine did sometimes was if I engaged the cruise lets say at 55 mph, it was fine. If I pressed the gas pedal to accelerate to 65 mph and pushed the engage button in, only sometimes that would work. I would have to turn the cruise Off, and then back On, and push the engage button again to get it to engage at the 65 mph.

Last edited by gaedbo; 03-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
I am trying to remember this (Old Age Has Set In) because my car has been in storage since November (Minnesota Winters) and won't be out until April....But, I know Sliding the R/A tab briefly for 1 mph increases always worked. Slide it 5 times briefly for a 5 mph increase always worked etc.

I do remember sometimes it did not work when I HELD it to increase the speed as you are describing as what happened to you. Sometimes that function worked, but not all the time.

The other thing mine did sometimes was if I engaged the cruise lets say at 55 mph, it was fine. If I pressed the gas pedal to accelerate to 65 mph and pushed the engage button in, only sometimes that would work. I would have to turn the cruise Off, and then back On, and push the engage button again to get it to engage at the 65 mph.
Yes,and yes yes yes.What you just said.I'm wondering if just pressing the button off disconnects the cruise control or if applying the brakes like Injuneer posted totally disconnects the cruise control for sure so I can start over again?Forget you age,live your life.I'm fighting old age to.Inside is a young man trying to get out.Outside I look like SHI.My02.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Here is how it is supposed to work according to the Owners Manual

Suppose you set your cruise control at a desired speed and then you apply the brake or clutch pedal. This, of
course, shuts off the cruise control. But you don’t need to reset it. Once you’re going about 25 mph (40 km/h)
or more, you can move the cruise control switch from ON to R/A (Resume/Accelerate) for about half a second.
You’ll go right back up to your chosen speed and stay there.

To Increase Speed While Using Cruise Control There are two ways to go to a higher speed. Here’s the first:

1. Use the accelerator pedal to get to the higher speed.
2. Push the button at the end of the lever, then release the button and the accelerator pedal. You’ll now cruise at the higher speed.

Here’s the second way to go to a higher speed:

1. Move the Cruise switch from ON to R/A. Hold it there until you get up to the speed you want, and then release the switch.
2. To increase your speed in very small amounts, move the switch to R/A for less than half a second and then release it.
Each time you do this, your vehicle will go about 1 mph (1.6 kmh) faster.

So mine works this way, only not all the time like it should !

Best of luck with the so-called Retirement Stuff - I just went back to work part time because I have more money going out than coming in. I'm 70 now.
Last increase from Social Security was $1.80 a month.

Last edited by gaedbo; 03-05-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
Here is how it is supposed to work according to the Owners Manual

Suppose you set your cruise control at a desired speed and then you apply the brake or clutch pedal. This, of
course, shuts off the cruise control. But you don’t need to reset it. Once you’re going about 25 mph (40 km/h)
or more, you can move the cruise control switch from ON to R/A (Resume/Accelerate) for about half a second.
You’ll go right back up to your chosen speed and stay there.

To Increase Speed While Using Cruise Control There are two ways to go to a higher speed. Here’s the first:

1. Use the accelerator pedal to get to the higher speed.
2. Push the button at the end of the lever, then release the button and the accelerator pedal. You’ll now cruise at the higher speed.

Here’s the second way to go to a higher speed:

1. Move the Cruise switch from ON to R/A. Hold it there until you get up to the speed you want, and then release the switch.
2. To increase your speed in very small amounts, move the switch to R/A for less than half a second and then release it.
Each time you do this, your vehicle will go about 1 mph (1.6 kmh) faster.

So mine works this way, only not all the time like it should !

Best of luck with the so-called Retirement Stuff - I just went back to work part time because I have more money going out than coming in. I'm 70 now.
Last increase from Social Security was $1.80 a month.
You described my issue to a T .I know about money going out,trying to get the kid (30years old) off the launching pad ain't easy.I just spend $3000.to get my kid a room shared with another lady in Los Angeles.Money that could be well spent on such things such as,well,my Camaro for one.Many thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
You described my issue to a T .I know about money going out,trying to get the kid (30years old) off the launching pad ain't easy.I just spend $3000.to get my kid a room shared with another lady in Los Angeles.Money that could be well spent on such things such as,well,my Camaro for one.Many thanks.
I'm working 4 days a week also but mainly because I could go nuts at home all day(honey do list,ect).67 here.My02.