General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need Help! Car wont crank starter wont even turn over tried just about everything!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM

Need Help! Car wont crank starter wont even turn over tried just about everything!!!

Car is a 93 T/A LT1 Auto
My wife was driving the T/A and stopped to get gas. She gets back in the car and it wont do anything. The car had been running perfect I know. When you turn the key to on, it dings, lights up, and the fuel pump runs as usual but when you move to start it wont even try to turn over. The starter wont make a sound, not even a click but there is a relay clicking under the dash. The security light comes on solid during check and then goes off after about
3 sec like it should so I assume its not VATS related. The starter is brand new, an LT-4 corvette starter I just put on. I wiggled the shifter all around and that doesnt help. All fuses were good. I finally had to short the starter to get it cranked just to get it home. The starter worked fine when I did that so its not the starter (or could it still be the starter??). Battery measured a little over 12 volts on the MM.
Since then I have jumped the nuetral safety switch, didnt work.
Replaced the ignition switch, didnt work.
Heard about a starter relay but couldnt find one, I dont know if that could cause it or not.
Im pretty much out of ideas now so I could really use some help. Im this close to installing a push button starter!! Thanks all!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Instead of replacing stuff without testing, get out a meter and use this schematic to troubleshoot.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Okay, I can do that.
Where is the starter enable relay located?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jayrod2
Okay, I can do that.
Where is the starter enable relay located?
To the right of the glovebox. It's hard to see without poking your head under and looking toward the rear of the car. The hatch relay is next to it. They are both pinned to the metal structure of the dash.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Okay lets see if you guys can help. I measured 12 volts at the distribution block in the engine compartment, the red wire on the ignition switch measured the same 12, the yellow wire coming off the ignition switch measured the same 12 volts, either side of the crank fuse (3A) measures nothing while starting. Shouldnt this measure 12V while cranking? I also took the fuse out and measured the prongs.
NOW, in between the yellow wire from the ignition switch and the 3A fuse I have found a security system with tons of wires butt connected. I actually measured 12 volts on the yellow wire from the ign switch where the first butt connect is leading to the security system. So does this mean something on that aftermarket security box failed or one of the crappy butt connections maybe? It says Mirage on the box.
Its gonna be a whole mess of wires to untangle under there.

I also measured the 2 yellow wires going to the start enable relay and got nothing with key starting.
Feel free to correct anything. I think I need to route the yellow wire straight to the 3A crank fuse like in the diagram which will bypass that aftermarket security box am I correct? Thanks alot shoebox.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Yeah, sounds like the aftermarket security system you neglected to mention is not passing the voltage along to the start enable relay.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM

That was it. After pulling some of the wires down I found the other end of the yellow wire and connected it back together like it originally came and she starts and runs fine. Thanks for your help and schematics. I learned alot from this.

Oh and I didnt neglect to mention the security system, I just didnt see it. It was tucked up in there really good. Damn POS.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jayrod2
That was it. After pulling some of the wires down I found the other end of the yellow wire and connected it back together like it originally came and she starts and runs fine. Thanks for your help and schematics. I learned alot from this.

Oh and I didnt neglect to mention the security system, I just didnt see it. It was tucked up in there really good. Damn POS.
Nice when you have stuff you didn't even know was there.