General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

My window is off the track, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:41 PM

My window is off the track, help!

My driver side window slides back and forth as I drive and stop. What could be wrong here? Please help!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Re: My window is off the track, help!

It may be your window regulator or window stablizer. I have the same thing but have no cash to fix it.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:39 PM

how much would it cost to fix??
Old 09-16-2004, 01:49 AM

I had the same exact problem with my drivers side window. It had about 6 inches of play in it. I pulled the inside door panel, and had a peek. The rearward roller had broken off the bracket that is attached to the window.

I attempted to put the roller back into the broken out hole, but it only lasted a few cycles before coming loose again.

I bought a replacement piece -you have to buy the whole piece that runs the entire length of the bottom of the window, as the roller pivot point is pressed into the solid piece. It ran me about $30. And then I proceeded to shatter the window when trying to drill out the 3 rivets that hold this bracketing to the windows itself.

A new window was $230 installed the next day.

I never called for quotes about getting the bracketing fixed from a shop, but I'd guess it would have been significantly less than $230.

Pull your door panel. If your trouble is the same as mine was, learn from my mistake. Take it to a shop and have them screw with it. It's not worth the risk (and pain) of having the window shatter.

Last edited by Lower; 09-16-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM

would you happen to have any part #s ?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:09 PM

Why, did you pull your door panel to confirm this is your exact trouble?

Again: I would NOT attempt to fix this myself.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM

no, I havent yet, however it sounds like that is what the problem is, Yes me and my mechanically inclined friend are going to fix the window! So if it isn't to much trouble could you possibly share the part # please Thanx
Old 09-17-2004, 01:47 AM

If I had had it readily available I would have posted it up. Unfortunately I can't find the paperwork on that part, but looking through the parts manual for a 94 z, it would appear that the d/s part is 16625875. The p/s is 16625874.
You will want to confirm that this is the correct part number through your dealer.

Last edited by Lower; 09-17-2004 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:02 AM

You will want to confirm that this is the correct part number through your dealer.
Or try Shoebox..he's awsome with that kinda stuff
And by the way..working on just about any part of your car should always be considered..I really didnt understand my car that well until I started taking things apart and putting them back together over and over. I have this problem with my Driver-side window..Shoebox's site actually shows how to adjust the window for play (I think it was his site ) ..so if yours isnt broken, you can just adjust it if you take the panel off. You can still use the window if you unassemble everything, it just wont win any car shows with it off
..I would NEVER take my car to someone else unless it was to actually replace the window or something, that I just dont have the tools for. Anything else? Consider it a free lesson (costly if you mess up..but hey, you only learn from mistakes )
Good luck (oh and by the way..is your passenger side window getting slow?LOL..thats another fun project that you will have to also use rivets on )
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM

These part #s what are the parts called. I looked them up on gmpartsdirect.com and they were "channel A". Is that what I would need??
Old 09-17-2004, 09:51 AM

Yes, the part that attaches to the window is called the Channel.
Here is what you need if you are going to do it yourself, it is not brain surgery but its not really easy either...
#2 & #3 screwdriver
small flathead screwdriver
metric socket set.
drill bit set ( I reccomend de-walt pilot point)
small punches (I believe it was 1/8 and 5/16 I used
1/4 inch riveter (hard to find, I got one at harbor freight tools and it even came with the rivets I needed)
RTV to re-weatherproof door
Some sort of grease for the slides.

Put window all the way up and Unhook battery
Remove the plate behind the hendle #2 phillips
you will have to twist it to remove it.
The lock slider will have to be removed at the same time
once you can see the actual lock rod press on it with a
screwdriver and the plastic piece will pop off

Remove all screws in door panel.
2 #3 screws at a downward angle and one at an upward angle

There is also another #2 screw revealed once the handle plate is removed.
remove that one too.

Remove the electric wondow /lock panel by gently prying up with a screwdriver
make sure battery is disconnected
Using the small flathead screwdriver gently pry the window and lock connections off.
The mirror uses a standard connector, undo that.

Remove the #2 phillips screw that covers the bolts that go to the side mirror.
Push up on the door panel and itwill come off
remove the 3 mirror bolts (metric)

Remove the plastic weather barrier

looking at the opening at the rear of the door look at the metal piece attached to the glass, there is most likely a hole about 1/4 diamater where the little black slider should be that is where it breaks.

Remove the speaker

reconnect the battery and hook up the window switch.

place a object such as a screwdriver handle on the side impact bar to stop the window. lower the window till it contacts the handle.
Unhook the electrical connector at the window motor itself

Remove the bolts that hold on the t shaped track at the rear
Remove the stop and you will probibly find the broken slide wheel in that track.
You will need to use a 1/4 drill bit to drill out the rivets that hold the window motor.
slide the window motor and regulator off of the channel track and then work it out the hole at the rear. It will come out believe it or not.
You may have to raise or lower the window to get it out. A second person helps here.
Remove the alignment thingys at the top of the door (they are copper colored) and remove the rubber piece at the rear of the door, it just pulls out. The actual black strip at the top does not need to be removed but makes things easier, it just pulls off.
now remove the window

You will need to hammer out the center pins from the 3 fastners attached to the window. I set the window in the grass and somone hold it. Then drill out the rest of the rivet being carefull not to damage the plastic or metal washers. Place the new channel in place and rivet it or use bolts with locktite. you will need somone or something to hold it together while you revet it.

place the window back in and move it down to your stop.
Re install the alignment thingys. (if they are damaged replace them or they will scratch up the glass.)

Re-install the motor and regulator getting all slides to their previous positions.
Hookup the electrical connector to the window motor. If the rivet holes for the motor dont quite line up try inching the motor up and down to get them to line up.
when the do, rivet them in place using the 1/4 inch revets. Re install the t track and grease all slides.

Test window

replace mirror, rubber thinggy, speaker,
replace weather barrier, you may need new rtv if the stuff on there isnt tacky anymore. fish the wires through the appropiate holes.
reinstall door panel place it a little high and press in and down and once the clips are in the rige at the top will need to be hit in. I just smack it a few times with my hand and it goes in.
re-install mirror bolt cover being careful not to overtighten, they crack easy.
re-install the rest of the door panel.
hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:11 PM

i just had the same problem. i used JB weld. definately a non-permanent fix until i have the time and money to go find the parts i need and fix it correctly.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:31 PM

I spent 30$ to do the permanant fix.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:39 PM

Sorry to dig up this post, but I have similar post with this same problem. Here I thought I had something unique .

Anyway, of those who have done this fix. Did you do it yourself. I am concerned about shattering the window, but I would think that if you stayed within the area of the rivets and drilled it out, it wouldn't be a problem. I really don't have a problem doing this myself. It's fairly easy to get to everything, but I'm a little concerned by the window.

Any suggestions from anyone else? I know Lower had some problems, and I'm curious as to how he did it, and maybe avoid that way and try something else.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 PM

I replaced mine about 3 months ago and while it was no piece of cake it wasn't all that bad. I did not remove my window motor and even left the mirror attached and the switch wiring. I just let the rear of the door panel down to the floor and let it rest there. If I recall correctly, once all the guides were loose or removed (rear was already off due to broken part) I was able to fish the window with the track still attached out of the door. Once I got the old track off the window by drilling out the rivets I installed the new track into the door and then installed the window using small bolts instead of rivets. I wish I could be more precise but I am certain that I didn't remove the motor. This is just how I did it...it isn't necessarily the correct way but it worked for me. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: My window is off the track, help!