General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on 1995 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:38 PM

My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on 1995 z28

My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on a 1995 z28 camaro?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM

Re: My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on 1995

Don't know how to fix that, but my '96 Formula does the same. In fact, every car I've had does that, and I've had several. Of course I always fill them until the tank almost overflows.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Re: My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on 1995

Originally Posted by Garcia5
My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on a 1995 z28 camaro?
Do you mean it's stuck there all the time, or that it hangs there for quite a while, but eventually comes back down when a substantial amount of fuel has been consumed?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 PM

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles
Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Most f body's around this year have the same issue, it's a pretty common issue. I typically just use it the way it is, when it reads a half, it actually means you've got a quarter of a tank left. After that I'm not sure, but I never let my 94 z28 get that low.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Mine does the same thing. Mine stays reading way past full all the time. I'm going to test my wiring tomorrow using the Shoebox article.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Interesting.... "Garcia5" came back on 11/27, never answered the question, never acknowledged Rob's input. Guess he got what he wanted. Shame people can't be more courteous.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM

Anyone ever pulled the needle to adjust? Or not possible?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by FirebirdGT
Anyone ever pulled the needle to adjust? Or not possible?
That does nothing for the non-linear way the gauge reads. If you set the needle at the F mark when completely full, then it is only going to go way past E when nearing empty. At least the way it normally is, it is really at empty when it gets to E.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
That does nothing for the non-linear way the gauge reads. If you set the needle at the F mark when completely full, then it is only going to go way past E when nearing empty. At least the way it normally is, it is really at empty when it gets to E.
I would rather have it read E, and still have fuel left. So can the needle be pulled?
Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Not sure why everyone has such a problem with this. I bought my Formula brand new, noticed the inaccuracy, and developed a calibration table.... pretty much the same table Rob has for gauge position vs. content. It was so repeatable that when the needle hit 1/2 I knew I had used 10 gallons, and divided the trip odo reading by 10 to estimate my MPG to that point. I knew at any point EXACTLY how many gallons were in the tank.

No matter what you do with the needle, it's going to be inaccurate, so it's your choice. But why start pulling needles off (people do it all the time to install dash overlays) and possibly damage something, and end up with a gauge with a totally unknown calibration error.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by FirebirdGT
I would rather have it read E, and still have fuel left. So can the needle be pulled?
Sure, but seems like a lot of trouble just to have it act in the same manner it did before, but just in a different position. Most are used to the way it works.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:10 AM

Bought my '94 Z28 in '97 and the gas gauge was inaccurate back then.

Restored the car last year and had the gauge cluster refurbished and the gas gauge is still inaccuarate, so I've done what I've always done. After I fill the tank I reset the trip odometer to zero and once it gets to 125-140 miles I refill the tank.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by brentbrowning01
Mine does the same thing. Mine stays reading way past full all the time. I'm going to test my wiring tomorrow using the Shoebox article.
I just change the pump used my original assambly,the pump assambly after market I have that issue, just dont used after market assambly, just new pump original assambly,been 3 years no problems. I hope this can help.Tky.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-11-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Edited to correct missing "quote" tag.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Garcia5
Its been a long time since this thread was posted or discussed but here is my 2 cents worth.
BTW im in Canada the kilometer country...
To solve the gas guage problem without expense I simply fill the gas tank and then press the trip meter to zero. when it gets to 350 kilometers I begn looking for a gas station. Then fill and repeat. The trick is not to forget resetting your trip meter after fillup. You get used to it.
Enjoy the drive!

Quick Reply: My fuel gauge reads that's it's way past full any one know how to fix it on 1995 z28