General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

The Basics

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 AM

The Basics

Hey y'all! I've been out of the loop for a while. I've had my 1995 Camaro Z28 in storage since 2005. I'm wanting to bring her out of retirement but I have forgotten the most basic things about her and need some help remembering. She has 129,000 miles on her. Keep in mind as you read these, I'm not wanting to beef up the car for racing or hard driving. I'd like to actually use this car as a daily or weekend driver.
- I'd like to change the automatic transmission fluid.
What type of fluid do I need to use? How much do I need? Is there a specific brand that is best to use? Is there a tutorial on how to change the transmission fluid?
- How do I check/change the rear end fluid? Is there a specific type of gear oil I need to use?
- I'd also like to replace the spark plugs and plug wires. I recall doing this once before and remember what a pain in the (you know what) it was. Is there a certain plug and plug wire I need to use?
-While I'm changing the plugs and wires I'm going to change the belt, water pump, alternator and a few pulleys (due to rust and squeaking). Is there anything else I need to check/change while I'm doing these repairs?

Thank you for your time and input.

BB
Old 12-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Re: The Basics

check the oil , drain the gas tank , change the fuel filter most likely the battery will be dead
you cannot use a plug wire larger than 8mm if your running them threw the stock loops
I use mobile one oil in my car however oil is oil everyone has there own opinion
there is a guy on here shoebox check out his link
www.shbox.com

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-28-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator

The recommended factory fluids are listed in the Owner's Manual. Shoebox has a link to the 95 manual:

http://shbox.com/pdf/1995camaro.pdf

Rear end fluid change is simple, but messy. Unbolt the cover, pry it off and let the stinky lube flow into a large pan placed under the rear. Clean assembly with brake cleaner, check the magnet on the cover for metal accumulation. Make sure there is no accumulation on the ABS sensor (if you have 3-channel/ABS only - no traction control) Reassemble cover to housing - can use a gasket or RTV - then fill the unit (3/8" square ratchet extension fits hole in plug, passenger side of housing) to the bottom of the opening with 2 quarts 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube, plus a bottle of the GM "limited slip differential" additive.

Best plugs would be a set of NGK TR55-Iridium. Expensive, but will last 100K miles. Factory 7mm wires are adequate for a stock engine.

Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced. Coolant should be flushed and replaced. Check PCV valve. Check air filter. Check all vacuum lines for rot.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks, Parkers! I actually Changed the oil, drained the fuel, changed fuel filter and battery yesterday.. After sitting in the garage since 2005, when I drained the old fuel and replaced it, it fired right up! It felt so good to hear it running again. Now if I can just get it road worthy and back on the road again.
Any thoughts on any parts I need to check while I have it on the jack stands?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Might want to make sure rodents haven't chewed up the wires for the O2 sensors, VSS, ABS sensors, trans connector and knock sensor while you are under the car.

Hope I'm as lucky. My 94 has been sitting dormant in the garage for two years. Battery is preserved with a Battery Tender. Fuel tank was close to empty when it was parked.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for your input injuneer! Good idea about checking the 02 sensor wiring! I've been looking at shbox's website. Now if I can just figure out how to change the (automatic) transmission fluid. I hope you get yours up and running again soon too. Any more advice?

Last edited by brentbrowning01; 12-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

If you want, I can give you a link to a free download of a 94 factory shop manual. Your 4L60E should be similar, except for the converter lockup method. That will show you the drain/refill procedure.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Yeah injuneer! That would be awesome. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Administrator

PM sent.