General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

This might be a tough one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

This might be a tough one.

I've got a '98 Camaro V6 that I've since it was brand new. Last Saturday, I lost my car keys while at work (Doh!) and since I had no spares (double Doh!) I got the dealer make me a new set from the VIN. The key wouldn't turn so I took it to another dealership here in ATL and had him recut the key. Unfortunately it still will not turn. I've double checked the VIN #'s and I've never had the ignition replaced.

Here is some data that might help.
1. The car was towed home after losing the keys. The driver turned a bit and locked the tires/wheel both ways.
2. The old key worked perfectly fine and was a copy of the original key.
3. I've tried any combination of turning the wheel and key, to the point where I blistered my finger.
4. The key has been cut twice. Didn't work either time.
5. Normally, when the steering wheel locks, it stops hard when turned one way, but has play when turned the other way. Now, the wheel stops hard when turned either way.

Is the steering wheel lock just not releasing and letting the key turn? Any way to bypass the steering wheel lock mechanism to see if that's the problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm a 12v installer by trade, so maybe I can help with some of the electrical/audio questions on here.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 PM

hummmm

sounds to me like a broken tumbler in the ignition

Is the key a chip key or just straightcut?

eitherway yo will have to pull the steering wheel off to get @ the problem area, the ignition is behind the turn signal assembly held in by 1 allen key bolt. if you pull the right bolt the ignion will slide right out, but you will have to unscrew the tunsignal assebbly. if you have problems getting @ the screws click the turnsignal left or right for better access.

now the reason i asked if it was a chipped key. if it is then you will have to go back to chevy with your vin and order the ignition assembly

if not one can be purchased @ your local auto parts store for around @20

Don

Oh almost frogot after you pull the steering wheel there will be a plate you will have to push back and take a clip off from around the shaft, a speical tool is sold to push it back for eaiser instalation but i just usually take a big washer and put it over the steering shaft threds and put 2 sockets under it and use the steering whell nut to compress the washer and sockets back.