General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Maybe major problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 PM

Maybe major problem.

Well I may have a big problem here. Either way i came here because i think this is the best forum for help, by far. 2 years ago i decided to put headers on my newly acquired 1995 Z28. When i was taking off old manifolds i came across a broken bolt, right next to the steering column. So the car sat untill this spring and i got back into it. I used every bolt extractor with no success. I took the cyl. head off. Removed the bolt. Put head and new gaskets back on. Also put intake and everything else back on related to this procedure. Did a engine oil flush, and thats when something happen. The motor dumped all oil. I had oil every where. Now the specifics.

-Oil everywhere under vehicle.
-I reved it to about 4,000 max
-ran for about 4 min
-Very minimal coolant, wasnt refilled yet. I thought i would watch temp but run just enough to flush engine. Then put new oil and Coolant in.
-All oil was splashed towards back corner of motor on drivers side.
-All oil was below spark plugs. Last plug drivers side had a little oil on
-Oil actually made it to the back tires.
-No oil on fire wall
-Valves were ticking a bit. i removed cover and the rockers all felt fine maybe just a bit lose.
-Lots of smoke when running.
-No oil in header collector.
-I did notice a small amount of oil under middle of engine near the back when i was test running it for a few seconds, but thought it was just spilled oil.
A few thoughts. The filter was not replaced, maybe 2 years old. Did i over heat block in that amount of time with no coolant. I guess it sounds stupid to run with out coolant but i didnt think 4-5 min in 60deg weather would hurt.

Last edited by FredM; 06-05-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 AM

Re: Maybe major problem.

Did a little home work. Running with no coolant very bad idea, even short amount of time. One other similar oil spill was from a filter seal being blown out. Tonight I will swap out filter after I buy a filter wrench. Put more oil and coolant and run it. I want to see if coolant runs out. Hopefully not. This really sucks hopefully someone can help out. Thanks

Last edited by FredM; 06-05-2015 at 08:48 AM.