General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

magnaflow or flowmaster??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM

magnaflow or flowmaster??

gonna redo my exhaust system. new catalytic and all. i live in california so im limited on choices. but is there really any difference in magnaflow or flowmaster or is it personal preference..
Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 PM

flowmaster is junk

we cant give you any information because you have given us none, what type of car are you even talking about, year, use

putting some basic information about your car and any mods done to it in your signature would help out alot also, so you dont have to explain that every time you ask a question
Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
flowmaster is junk

we cant give you any information because you have given us none, what type of car are you even talking about, year, use

putting some basic information about your car and any mods done to it in your signature would help out alot also, so you dont have to explain that every time you ask a question
I'm guessing by his screen name he drives a red Z28, but the year and mods will help. I also don't like Flowmasters on a Camaro, but on 5.0 Mustangs I love 'em. Magnaflow and Borla are my faves for a cat-back on a Z28
Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM

srry about that. i have 97 camaro z28. all ive done to it is a CAI im gonna throw a 52mm TB and hopefully 3.73 gears since its a A4. but thats about it since the car has 153xxx miles on it.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Go with the Magnaflow.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Magnaflow...and if that is all you are going to do to your car then skip the throttle body. Don't believe the hype- you aren't going to see the improvement that many claim on a basically stock motor.

You would be better off getting a tune (real tune not a crap programmer) for the money you would spend on the TB, plus the tune will make the car a little more fun to drive as well esp being a slushbox.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM

what kinda tune are you talking about? like a pcm? would like to get another 30hp outta it.. wanna be able to run like a stock SS.. the lt1 gets it but want alittle more get up
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redz28camaro
gonna redo my exhaust system. new catalytic and all. i live in california so im limited on choices. but is there really any difference in magnaflow or flowmaster or is it personal preference..
Originally Posted by dangalla
flowmaster is junk

As noted above YOU NEED TO ADD A SIGNATURE. That way you won't forget to include it when you post asking for help. Include the basics - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by tiresmokindad
If you want your exhaust more throaty sounds you should choose the flowmaster than magnaflow.
first of all... no - feel free to check out some youtube vids. this is my car with magnaflow, sounds pretty throaty to me - not much different than a flowmaster

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=MOV00160.flv
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=MOV00159.flv

with flowmaster you can also enjoy lower power output, and you can also sit back and watch the rust form on your nice new exhaust.

so if your into low power and rust def choose the flowmaster, otherwise....

once again, put some info in your sig
Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 PM

magnaflow
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM

dam i did change my sig.. and ive heard good things about both. but im leaning towards magnaflow. im gettin two new cats for 600$ with install. with is hella cheap here. so im gonna go ahead and do my whole exhaust. any good kits out there for magnaflow. btw i want it to be loud. =)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM

honestly there is nothing good to be heard about the flowmaster, it has been proven to make the least power of most major kits, and it will rust quickly, magnaflow and many others are stainless steel so they will not rust

if you want something really loud maybe you should be looking into the slp loudmouth system, or the gmmg. but they are really loud. the magnaflow is decent at idle and mid, but opens up nicely up top and has a very nice tone all the way through
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM

right on. and i dont mind it being really loud. i just found out if i put a aftermarket exhaust on my car i wont be able to smog it in california. =/ i think im just gonna say *** it & put it on anyway
Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by redz28camaro
right on. and i dont mind it being really loud. i just found out if i put a aftermarket exhaust on my car i wont be able to smog it in california. =/ i think im just gonna say *** it & put it on anyway
On long as it's a "cat back" system, it is smog legal. Where you run into problems is with headers (most are not legal) and replacement cats. Aftermarket high-flows are not allowed, only stock replacement types. You also cannot relocate the cats from the original, stock location. This becomes a problem with the drivers side cat, located just under the exhaust mani. That being said, I have Random Technologies high-flow cats on my car, and custom headers. The cats are not in the stock locations either. I have never had a problem getting it smogged. It appears the shops just want to see two cats, and if they do you're good to go. Headers, as long as it has the factory hookups for the AIR injection, it does not seem to be a problem. I'm also in Kalifornia, and have had it smogged several times with no issues. Doesn't mean I'll NEVER have a problem, but I have been OK so far.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 PM

I have flowmaster on all 4 of my cars and would never go with anything else.

Quick Reply: magnaflow or flowmaster??