General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LT1 intake conversion issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 PM

now your just not making any sense at all

before you did not want him to work on any of your stuff, now its ok for him to work on your stuff?

all he has to do is weld the crack and it is better than new, why the hell would he buy you a new manifold and then do all the work over again? plus make lloyd do all the work over again
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
j0n

Dangalla if you bought a new crate motor from Summit Racing and it showed up with a crack in the block, would you want to pay shipping back to Summit Racing for them to fix it, and then return shipping as well?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM

i was going to let him fix it until i had time to think about it more. did you read any of the emails? i said that i didnt want Lloyd to re port the intake because this was not his fault. its not better than new. if the new intake manifold was cracked in the first place then it would be better than new after being welded. he should supply me with a new manifold because i paid for it to be new, not repaired.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by j0n
Dangalla if you bought a new crate motor from Summit Racing and it showed up with a crack in the block, would you want to pay shipping back to Summit Racing for them to fix it, and then return shipping as well?
he does not have to pay shipping

lloyd told him he would cover it

i am happy to have someone else step in here and discuss, but please read the thread

and it is better than new, it will be stronger in the area where he was able to build it up with weld
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Lloyd has nothing to do with the situation with Bret, my issue isnt with Lloyd
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM

dude i dont like bret either, i have already said that

but it is not reasonable for the op to expect him to buy a new intake and modify it when all he needs to do is fix this one

read the thread seriously, i have said multiple times that i would not be happy with this situation, but you have to be reasonable

before your post was that he should not have to pay for shipping, after i pointed out that you missed the part where lloyd said he would pay for it you come up with all of this. seriously i am not the one to be attacked
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM

i dont think that what i want is unreasonable, partially due to the response that i received and due to the price that i paid. read the emails seriously, i think that I've been pretty calm even with the way that i was talked to. if he would have said "i dont think that i need to replace the intake but i can assure you that if i repair it you wont have to worry about the strength and it will be as good as new" i wouldve said to repair it.. but he didnt, he said "go **** yourself" (thats what go pound sand means incase you didnt know)
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 PM

trust me, i agree with you, it is a rather unfortunate situation all around and i honestly think he was a complete dick about it, but the bottom line is that he still offered to fix it

i think the reasonable answer is to let him fix it, if its not 100 percent when it comes back then you need to pursue other options
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM

it wont be, the outside all of the bolt hole that he did not agree to fix is so thin that the clamping force of a bolt will collapse it. if he agreed to fix all of the bolt holes it would probably be different but thats not the case. thats besides the fact that he is holding up the engine being put into the car and costing my builder (who is a friend of mine) money
Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 PM

this is the problem i have with what your saying

he did not design the manifold
he did not design the heads

all he did was place the holes in the correct place for them to line up. so what exactly do you think would change if he did it again, or even someone else did it again

i realize you are upset, but i really think you need to calm down and think things through

all you are doing is holding up you and your friend, like i said before it sucks that things worked out this way but you need to suck it up and send it back to him so he can fix it

or buy a new one and stop complaining about it
Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 AM

im not holding anything up lol you CLEARLY didnt read everything because if you did you would realize that its being sent to a shop that does quality work. he was not careful in drilling out the holes, one of the holes is not round anymore (whether you think that it effects it working properly it was not done correctly), 2 holes are cracked, and the sides of the holes are too thin. to do it PROPERLY the holes should be round, they should not be cracked, and he should have reinforced the manifold so that the sides are not as thin. i didnt pay him to drill some holes, i paid him to convert the manifold to PROPERLY fit LT1 heads
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM

obviously you are confusing yourself

Originally Posted by 86formula
im not holding anything up lol you CLEARLY didnt read everything because if you did you would realize that its being sent to a shop that does quality work.
oh really, crazy me listening to you

. thats besides the fact that he is holding up the engine being put into the car and costing my builder (who is a friend of mine) money
the car needs to get done,
and this

What would you guys do at this point?
if you already sent it out then why would you ask this question, what was the point of this thread, other than to bash him of course

obviously this whole thread was a waste of time, and had no purpose, good luck buddy
Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 AM

yes, if i sent it to him it would hold up my build and it does need to get done. part of the point of this thread was to make people aware of the quality of work produced by Bret Bauer. i didnt ask what you would do with the manifold did i? the question was more, what would you do about the situation at this point. you can stop wasting your time posting in my thread now, thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by dangalla
trust me, i agree with you, it is a rather unfortunate situation all around and i honestly think he was a complete dick about it, but the bottom line is that he still offered to fix it

i think the reasonable answer is to let him fix it, if its not 100 percent when it comes back then you need to pursue other options
honestly here's my take, I wouldn't want anybody that seems pissed at me to repair anything. judging from the emails he basically wants the guy to go f himself. can you really expect someone at the point to do a quality job? not saying he won't but I personally wouldn't take the risk. given the current attitude displayed if the repair isn't done well, this doesn't seem like a person who would either A) do it over again B) want money to have it shipped to and from or C) want money for the additional repair along with shipping. I'd want to get them out of the equation as quickly as possible. also making someone else pay out of pocket for shipping to get it repaired is silly. lloyd is being great about the whole deal and showing his great care for his customers that he always has, lloyd nor the customer should have to pay anything because neither is at fault.

I have heard stories about bret but this definately shows characteristics more towards a shady mechanic than a quality tradesman. never would I want a person with such an attitude to take my hard earned money and treat me like a POS.

Last edited by 87bandit; 04-24-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 AM

just to make this clear

i do not like bret bauer, i would never let him work on anything i own

the op was blindsided into business with him, and it was my position that he had no choice to deal with him to get the part fixed, at no cost to him. and i thought that was what this thread was about

this thread has taken many different turns, and the main issue has changed a few times forcing me to take different positions in order to continue the discussion. this thread is no doubt very confusing to read in its entirety, capped off by the op asking the entire thread what we would do only to later post that he does not want to know what we would do

i do not like threads designed to bash someone, especially when they have no point, which is exactly what this has turned into, for that reason i would rather not post in it any more and i just wanted to make these few things clear.

i think the op got screwed, but personally i would have made the best of the situation, and dont forget there is two sides to every story, there has got to be at least one part left out

Quick Reply: LT1 intake conversion issues