General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LS1 wont start but cranks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 PM

LS1 wont start but cranks

My car has been garaged for about 9 months, and every since I parked it I've had this problem:

Sometimes it doesnt want to start. It cranks every time, that isnt an issue...

Once I finally got it started, I drove it to Autozone and when I went to leave it wouldnt start again. I sat the turning the key on, cranking it, turn key offf, then repeating....it took about 15 minutes of this then cranked right up..

(BTW I had autozone scan for codes and I got the codes for the two front 02 sensors and an EGR code(I have no EGR))

Then once I got to a friend's, it did this again, and I had to leave it there last night. I tried for almost an hour doing what I did at Autozone.

Ever since I lost my key and had a new one made, it has been doing this(but not sure this is the problem..). So I am wondering if it is the resistor in the key not working, or is it the lock cylinder??

Also, the coolant level light sometimes comes on, even though the coolant level is fine...

I havent changed the plugs or the fuel filter yet, that was what I was going to do last night but the car got stuck somewhere else

I am wondering if the coolant sensor is messed up and giving a really low temp reading and causing it to dump a lot of fuel. Could this in combination with the old plugs(20K miles tops on Bosch Platinums) cause it to just crank and not fire?

It either starts right up or doesnt start and just cranks...it never just "kindof" fires or anything like that...

I am going back to press the schrader valve and see if fuel comes out to make sure it's even getting fuel at all...but I can say the pump is coming on for sure...you can hear it. Although that doesnt mean it's pumping enough...

I am hoping I go back over there and it starts right up so I can bring it home and do some looking around/testing to figure this crap out.

If it wont start again Im going to check to make sure it's getting fuel, then try cleaning the resister contacts on the key, then if that dont work I'll check/change the plugs & fuel filter right there on the side of the road.

If that doesnt work and it's getting fuel, I dont know what else it could be other than completely shot 02 sensors. (Would the car run with fugged up 02's?)

All the relays/fuses are working properly/good, and I just filled up the tank with premium.

I hate working on my car anywhere but home

If I figure it out I will post for others to know, otherwise I may need some advice!

thanks

Last edited by stone4779; 10-21-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Re: LS1 wont start but cranks

You are going to get my Holiday Express answer. First get the correct resistance for the key(VATs). That is a anti theft feature. If it still has problems firing, get it scanned again. You can buy a OBD 2 scanner for $30-$70. The cheap one is at Harbor Freight but I have no experience with it. If you get codes, then you need to do electrical checks on those specific sensors. It is much better to approach it that way than blindly start to replace things IMO. Good Luck
Old 10-21-2006, 02:47 PM

if it cranks, it is not VATS

you need to check fuel pressure when it wont start
Old 10-21-2006, 03:16 PM

I had Autozone scan it for codes like I said, and it said the front 02 codes are the only ones it threw besides the EGR code...

I checked the schrader valve and it throws fuel...

All the plug wires are good...

So it has air, and it has fuel(unless the injectors crapped out) so that just leaves the spark plugs...

I pulled a couple of the plugs and they were black and grey so I'm going to change the plugs next. I was going to do that last night anyways...

I'm just glad that it's getting fuel.

I dont think it would just not run at because of some bad spark plugs but it has happened to me on several other cars so Im gonna give it a shot..

If that dont work then Im going to change the 02 sensors, which have like 30K+ miles on them so that could be it or a burnt wire somewhere...that's the only thing I can think of...

I also picked up another fuel filter..gonna save that for after the plugs..

BTW thanks Dave...I wasnt sure if the VATS cuts just the fuel or not...at least I know it's not that..

Last edited by stone4779; 10-21-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 PM

Did you look up the codes for both front 02s? Low coolant sensor is probably dirty or just going out - disconnect it and tie off the connector to keep the light off until you decide when you want to fix/replace it, don't think that would keep it from starting.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Also see www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8794.php
Old 10-21-2006, 05:10 PM

same problem i had, it was the ignition relay in my case
Old 10-21-2006, 05:18 PM

I'll try swapping another relay for the IGN relay and see if that works while Im out there day...
Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks MySlow!! I swapped out the fan relay for the ignition relay and it crank right up!

Now that I have it back in my garage I can finish changing the plugs and fuel filter, and gonna pick up a new relay right now.

Now everything is brand new! Thank gawd thats over with and I can move on to installing my new sound system so I can hear some freakin bass!

thanks a lot guys, I'm glad MySlow mentioned that relay lol
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by myslowcamaro
same problem i had, it was the ignition relay in my case

My how things have changed! That was oh so long ago to me and it all started back then with that first LS1 Camaro I had. Ive had so many of them since, currently on my 2nd GTO lol, had an auto now a stick. Had a Colorado with a 5.3L and 4x4 lmao. I just love this engine and transmission and HPTuners is the shiznit. I keep coming back to it.

I tried a Ford(Cobra) it didnt work out too well lol check this out lol it was a nightmare:

The Demon Cobra From Hell

Its a sick car though, would absolutely embarrass my GTO. But hey I only got $12K in mine lol. I cant afford that car anymore

Anyways just thought itd be funny to bring back an old thread an do a "Where are they now".

Ive been a fleet mechanic for years, now operate my own place here out of my home and it pays the bills just fine

Thanks to Cz28.com, I can fix my cars and make money fixing others'. Heck, I even bought my GTO from a member from Ohio. Got a sweet deal on it too.