General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Lost Both Ignition Keys What Do I Do ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Lost Both Ignition Keys What Do I Do ?

Well, The 1995 camaro v6 i have has had a broken driveshaft for awhile now and i parked it . and some how after 6 months time i lost both the ignition keys .

I called the chevy dealer they wanted it towed there and cost $200 bucks with tow ...

any cheaper way this can be done idea's ?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 PM

You shouldn't need to have the car at the dealership. Most can reproduce the key if you provide either the title or registration with the VIN and some sort of picture ID of whomever is the registered owner.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 PM

A righteous dealer should cut you a new key with proper VIN info and proof of ownership.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM

yes they can cut the key np . But its the key pellet vaalue is unknow ?

what can i do shoebox ?

Have them cut the key with a randome 1 -15 key pellet value and then once the key will turn all i have to do is a VATS bypass ?

? can i Find out the vats resitor value without a key to turn the ignition ?

if i could get the vats working and buy one of thoose variable resitors u turn up and down .. then i can get a key made cuz i would know what key pellet value it is ?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spllouder
yes they can cut the key np . But its the key pellet vaalue is unknow ?

what can i do shoebox ?

Have them cut the key with a randome 1 -15 key pellet value and then once the key will turn all i have to do is a VATS bypass ?

? can i Find out the vats resitor value without a key to turn the ignition ?

if i could get the vats working and buy one of thoose variable resitors u turn up and down .. then i can get a key made cuz i would know what key pellet value it is ?
I could be wrong, but I thought the info they have from the VIN would tell them what the resistance value is. Seems like other people have replaced lost with no problem this way. The only other way is trial and error or the dealer or a locksmith can learn the value with what they call an "interrogator".

This would be a good reminder to everyone to measure their key resistance and write it down in case it is needed in a future emergency like this.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info ...

called the dealer they said they dont keep the pellt info from cars that old ? does that sound right ? sounds like iam calling another dealership...

Called a locksmith , they will come out and use a interrogator . $125 to come out and if it takes a long time could be close to $200 ....

Thrid option ? get a new key cut at dealer with a random pellet value , and bypass the vats will this work shoebox ?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spllouder
Thanks for the info ...

called the dealer they said they dont keep the pellt info from cars that old ? does that sound right ? sounds like iam calling another dealership...

Called a locksmith , they will come out and use a interrogator . $125 to come out and if it takes a long time could be close to $200 ....

Thrid option ? get a new key cut at dealer with a random pellet value , and bypass the vats will this work shoebox ?

Thanks
Yeah, that would work. It will be trial and error until you find the right resistance for the bypass.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM

well, i ended up calling a local locksmith he came out and did it in 1 hour . cost only $125 . he made me a key also w/o the pellet and said keep it some where safe and write doen the pellet key vale with it and store it ... good idea

p.s. he came out with a key already cut but we found out it was not the oringal ingition cynider