General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Looking for more help lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 AM

Looking for more help lol

As I stated before in my previous thread I've recently bought a 1995 z28 with 152k miles.. I'm looking to enhance the performance. It already has a k&n filter but it has this weird upside down oil filter thing on the intake is that normal?! But I've also been looking to change the radiator and add after market headers.. It has flow master exhaust but I believe there's hole in it not sure what that means either! If any of you can offer some suggestions on what I should do or what I should look to buy I'd gladly appreciate it! I'm open to any and all suggestions thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Re: Looking for more help lol

Do you have a K&N filter only (replacement, in the stock air box), or a full K&N "cold air intake" (CAI)? The CAI would consist of a cone shaped K&N filter that projects downwards into the lower part of the driver's side fender, just behind the front bumper cover, and a plastic tube that runs from the filter to the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. You need a full CAI, not just the filter.

The first exhaust upgrade is typically a "catback" exhaust. That is a new 3" mandrel-bent intermediate pipe that starts at the single cat (95's are all "single cat" except "California emissions" auto trans cars, which are dual-cat), proceeds to the rear axle, up and over the axle, and into a single cross-flow muffler, with single or dual outlets and tips. Flowmaster makes a "full catback", or someone may have simply substituted a Flowmaster muffler for the stock muffler. There is not much to be gained by simply changing the muffler, other than a louder sound. For a true performance increase, you need the full catback.

Next step in an exhaust upgrade would be tubular headers, either mid-length or long tube.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Do you have a K&N filter only (replacement, in the stock air box), or a full K&N "cold air intake" (CAI)? The CAI would consist of a cone shaped K&N filter that projects downwards into the lower part of the driver's side fender, just behind the front bumper cover, and a plastic tube that runs from the filter to the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. You need a full CAI, not just the filter.

The first exhaust upgrade is typically a "catback" exhaust. That is a new 3" mandrel-bent intermediate pipe that starts at the single cat (95's are all "single cat" except "California emissions" auto trans cars, which are dual-cat), proceeds to the rear axle, up and over the axle, and into a single cross-flow muffler, with single or dual outlets and tips. Flowmaster makes a "full catback", or someone may have simply substituted a Flowmaster muffler for the stock muffler. There is not much to be gained by simply changing the muffler, other than a louder sound. For a true performance increase, you need the full catback.

Next step in an exhaust upgrade would be tubular headers, either mid-length or long tube.
I believe it's the CAI my bad I'm trying to post a pic up so you could see it and maybe go there but idk if I can post a pic here.. Ill post one on my profile just incase.. The exhaust is loud to and it has straight pipes but me being a first timer I can't really tell if its just the muffler or the whole exhaust system.. But thanks for the reply and if there's anything else you could help with just feel free to suggest something lol
Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM

You are up there in miles. You should probably think about a fresh block and heads. That way you can build a better performance engine altogether.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by PHXLT1
You are up there in miles. You should probably think about a fresh block and heads. That way you can build a better performance engine altogether.

Why is that? Isn't buying a a fresh block and heads pretty much buying a new motor??
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Does your engine use any oil? What is the oil pressure at idle? ....at 2,000 RPM? Does it run strong? Have you checked the compression or done a leakdown test? Fact is, there are LT1's approaching 250.000 miles. If yours is still healthy, continue to have fun with it. I wouldn't try to bolt another 150 HP on it, but things like a CAI and catback exhaust aren't going to over stress it.

If the engine is showing signs of wear, you would freshen your existing block and rebuild the bottom end. They stopped making LT1 blocks at least 10 years ago.