General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Let's Build! : A 1993 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Let's Build! : A 1993 Z28

Alright, so, let's do it.

Apparently, I'm new here. Not just new to the boards, but to the high-performance world in general. I fit the bill of an off-road, big-wheeled truck and Jeep fan more than I do a speed-demon with a soft spot for pure American muscle car.

But for reasons I'll eventually explain here, I'm taking a break from old Jeeps and Dodge trucks to get my hands on a Camaro. I figured, what better way to get familiar with a high performance car than to just build one myself?

So here we go. We start where every great auto build project starts...

Craigslist, Junkyards, and Auto Supply

So why did I want to get into building a Camaro? Well, the answer is it was pure happenchance. Being an off-roader, most of my free-time not dedicated to lifting a truck or installing a winch involves scouring the depths of Craigslist for my next ride. Setting a price range of $100 to $1000, I usually hit every Craigslist site within a one state radius from home in Omaha--Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska. While sifting through $500 Cherokees, $800 rusted out Chevy trucks, and $300 junkmobiles, I stumbled upon a piece of gold in Des Moines.

An Iowan was selling the empty body of a 1993 Camaro Z28 for $500. The second I opened the ad, I expected to see some rust-ridden, broken down shell. Instead, it was a remarkably well-kept piece of equipment. Here's the original ad since it still seems to be up, and I'll get to uploading the dozen or so pictures he sent me via email as soon as I can. All he had was the body--mostly devoid of anything on the inside.

So I figured, what the hell. I'll do it.

Days of scouring Craigslist turned up various gently-used GM/Camaro-related odds and ends--leather seats, stereo systems and subwoofers, tires and rims, among other things. Craigslisters selling individual parts for project cars they never got around to, and former Z28'ers parting out undriveable F-bodys. Nearly all the essentials for setting up the looks and the body of the car for no more than $1000 total.

With the body looking good so far, I decided it was time to start looking for what makes the 1993 Camaro live and breathe--the powertrain.

With every Craigslist site from Utah to Indiana, North Dakota to Texas thoroughly searched for GM drivetrain parts, I almost thought finding a gently-used or surplus LT1 engine was fruitless. Instead, through the magic of Google, I found what must be the Valhalla for build-it-yourself car nuts like me.

Powertrain Products, Inc. Everything you'd need to get a car guzzling gas and running again, you could find here. Engines and transmissions for damn near every domestic automobile ever made can be found here---including the LT1.

It's looking a little pricey--about $1,799 for a surplus engine. But it's a price I'm willing to pay.

A little history with me and engines: I built my 1995 Grand Cherokee's 5.2l Magnum V8 myself, but it's an experience I didn't feel like reliving with a brand new car. I spent thousands getting parts special-ordered, and drove thousands of miles picking up other parts from around the country. I only truly succeeded since I was building the exact same engine that drives my 2001 Dodge Ram. Since the LT1 only existed in a limited line-up, it would be difficult to simply find a car to copy the engine from.

So, that said, I'm more than willing to spend a month's paycheck on the engine.

Next, I hunted for what'll also help the Camaro take shape: the frame.

Camaroguys.com was a huge help here, with custom-welded K members, rear suspensions, and anti-roll kits to go around. I'm still waiting on a call back from them.

I'm still busy hunting down other parts I'll need, and I still haven't decided on a tranny. But right now here's the running total cost:

1993 Camaro Z28 6-point body: $500
GM LT1 engine: $1,799 + $400 core deposit
Rear suspension: $1,034
K member and front suspension: $499
Tires and rims: $100
Rear view and side mirrors: $60
Leather seats: $50
Stereo system: $50
Subwoofers: $30
Running total: $4522

More to come! Including more pics!

Last edited by NuclearZ28; 03-28-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Personally I'd buy a used motor and rebuild it for that price.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Honestly I'd love to get my hands dirty doing that, but I'm trying to squeeze through the time constraints that comes with the military lifestyle and school on the side...but yeah, I haven't actually ordered it yet, so I'll take it into consideration.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NuclearZ28
Honestly I'd love to get my hands dirty doing that, but I'm trying to squeeze through the time constraints that comes with the military lifestyle and school on the side...but yeah, I haven't actually ordered it yet, so I'll take it into consideration.
Fair enough. You might look for a used LT1 in good condition and then replace the main bearings and rod bolts that way if you decide to do a heads/cam swap in the future, your bottom end will be a littler more stout and can take a little more abuse.