General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Keyless entry part duex (Shoebox??)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 PM

Keyless entry part duex (Shoebox??)

Well for all following my keyless entry follies here's an update:

Found some GM key fobs from a '95 Impala on Ebay, bid and won them (for $10), I then e-mailed the guy and asked if he had the keyless entry controller. Said he did and he sent me a pic, box is a little differant but the plugs looked the same. Another $10 (real nice guy) and I decided to try it. Got it today, hooked it up, went to Shoebox's site for programming instructions (figured I shouldn't have to since these key fobs went with this controller) After I hooked it up I thought I heard a click............hmm...........anyway no response from any key fobs, Tried to program it. No dice. Confused I put in my old controller, tried to program that. Programmed PERFECTLY (Shoebox's site RULES). Key fobs work! Here's some real goofy stuff. Fobs will UNLOCK the drivers door but not lock it, passenger's side door works normally. At least I know which coil is fried in my controller huh?? Strange tho the switches will work nothing on the drivers door, however the key fob will unlock it.
So I took apart the Impala controller. TOTALLY differant, just two coils, one small IC and some surface mount capacitors on the back (one of which was FRIED-now I know where that click and funny smell came from). The only thing I can figure is the Impala had factory anti-theft and my Trans-Am didn't, so the keyless controllers are differant.
In conclusion I assume I need a '93-95 controller from a car that DIDN'T have factory alarm?? Thanks.

Last edited by baron4406; 05-04-2005 at 08:59 PM.