General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

keeps blowing water temp sensor's

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Re: keeps blowing water temp sensor's

Sounds backwards. The sensor resistance is INVERSE to temperature. Low resistance = high temperature, high resistance = low temperature. With an open circuit, the resistance is infinite, and the PCM displays the lowest temperature that fits in the 8-bit binary field, which usually shows up around -40*F. If you shorted the pins together, the resistance would approach "0" and the PCM would interpret that a s a high temperature, but again, it's limited the the digits that can be represented by the 8-bit field.

The PCM turns the fans on when there is a code for the temp sensor, to protect the engine. Doesn't matter whether its the low temp limit or the high temp limit.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM

well i tried doing some backtracking on all the wires but I cant find any breaks or bad grounds any where so dose that leave just the pcm?

also what do you think about wiring the fans into an open spot in the fues box so when ever the key is on the fans are on?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shoebox
I never recommend doing that. It is a waste to have them on all the time and can inhibit it from reaching operating temp when ambient temps are low. Wear on the fans and constant load on the electrical system (fans take a lot of power to run) are two more reasons not to do it. Just an overall bad idea. MHO, of course.
Originally Posted by jrz28camaro

also what do you think about wiring the fans into an open spot in the fues box so when ever the key is on the fans are on?
Shoebox already gave you the correct answer.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM

well I thought I fixed the problem I replaced the wire from wts as far back as I could go and soldered the conections and replaced all the grounds with brand new ones and it seemed to have worked for a while their the engine light turned off and stayed off but the fans still wouldn't turn on. but today while driving the light suddenly came on and the fans turned on. So I swapped out the ecu with my buddy's who's worked perfect and data master once again said it's the water temp sensor. their must be a short somewhere but I just can't seem to pinpoint this problem I am about ready to take it to a shop and I don't want to because i don't have that kind of money. this is driving me nuts