General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Interior production numbers?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Interior production numbers?

I've been curious about the number of camaros built that have the exterior/interior color combinations along with options. I've been searching the net to find some info on my questions and can't find anything giving me the information I'm looking for. I found plenty of websites stating production numbers of the z28,base model etc.... But they are just the numbers as a whole. They don't specify interior exterior options in detail.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction? I'm looking to find info on how many camaros were made with my options.

My current camaro is a 1995 Z28 bright red exterior, black & red interior, ttops, auto 4L60E, 2.73 rear, power windows/locks, Bose tape deck, traction control, cruise control.

I'm guessing I may have to write a letter to GM to find out for certain. But before I do so I was just curious to see if any of y'all had the info I'm looking for before I draft a letter and mail it. Then I would proceed to wait how long before I get a response.

If anyone can help and needs my vin # or any other specifics please don't hesitate to pm me.

Thank you!

Nick S
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Re: Interior production numbers?

There's a site called compnine that purports to tell you how many cars match your exact option. Problem is, it seems to come up with only "1" being built with the exact options it has for your VIN. I think that's because it has a lot of stuff that no one would ever be able to tell if they are different, like the RPO codes for each of the for suspension springs.

But you can give it a try:

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

Just looking at the "Camaro White Book", it shows Bright Red as the nost popular color in 1995, with 20,541 built out of about 122,000. But it doesn't tie that back to the various models, engines, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:01 PM

Thank you very much Injuneer. I had no idea about that website. I paid for a cheap subscription to enter the vin # to hopefully find out the specifics I'm looking for.

Thank you again!

Nick S
Old 06-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

You could have entered your VIN as the free trial. I've used it "free" many times, each time to help someone with a different VIN. I would guess that you are allowed to enter a specific VIN only once. That would be how they control the "free" uses.

The flame red interior has to be fairly rare. When I was looking for a new F-Body in 1994 I really wanted either black, white or red exterior with the flame red interior, and a 6-speed. That was a virtually impossible combination to find. But 6-speeds were in short supply in 94 due to the factory having to overcome some production issues.

I "settled" for my Dark Green Metallic Formula.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You could have entered your VIN as the free trial. I've used it "free" many times, each time to help someone with a different VIN. I would guess that you are allowed to enter a specific VIN only once. That would be how they control the "free" uses.

The flame red interior has to be fairly rare. When I was looking for a new F-Body in 1994 I really wanted either black, white or red exterior with the flame red interior, and a 6-speed. That was a virtually impossible combination to find. But 6-speeds were in short supply in 94 due to the factory having to overcome some production issues.

I "settled" for my Dark Green Metallic Formula.
Funny you mention that, I wanted a black car with white leather interior. All the dealers told me to forget it, "it doesn't exist" As a last resort, I tried another dealer and he said NO PROBLEM! I special ordered a '99 black Z28 with white leather seats, 6 speed and a host of other options. Still have the car with 4700 miles on it.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Dang, well too late. I didn't realize I could have done that and still got a reasonably extensive report. I guess the silver lining was it was only a couple bucks.

Anyhow, I turns out it was a rather low production number with that interior accompanied by the trac control. Just the interior trim numbers

TRIM COMBINATION,CLOTH,FLAME RED (73B)5,717
73I

INTERIOR TRIM,FLAME RED (73I)5,717

Trac control numbers,

NW9TRACTION CONTROL ELECTRONIC ELEC TRACTION CONT(NW9)3,413

So it seems that all in all the interior was somewhat rare but not "RARE". The other thing that I typically run across these cars, if the do have the flame red interior it is usually destroyed. It is stained almost to the point it is brownish/black wher it should be red. Along with the bolster ripped in half and the stuffing hanging out. Or the seat bottom is torn open as well. It just seems the majority of people didn't care for their car interior. Mine is in super great shape. But the driver side bolster is starting to slightly separate. No burns, rips, tears etc... I just find it a buzz kill when you see a sweet looking car and walk up and look in the windows and your eyes are treated with what represents a landfill type scene plus it looks like the cloth/leather was taken off, fashioned into a set of clothes to be used by a land scraper for a week and then returned back to the seats. It is that thrashed.

I believe two of the rarest interior types I've seen is the red leather that was offered in the 4th gen trans ams. And the white leather offered in the camaro. Again, if you do see it they are typically shot.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Just for fun here are a couple pictures of my car. Thanks again injuneer for your help.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 PM

Good info in this thread, thanks to all.

To the OP thanks for posting photos, your car looks beautifully kept-up. I was unaware of the Flame Red interior when I bought my '97 new and have been chasing the pieces ever since. Its been a challenge since production of the Flame Red interior dropped to around 1300 by 1997. I really lucked into one a few weeks ago via ebay and the seller happend to be local. Its not perfect, but it will work.
This thread might offer a solution to the bolster separation if you could find a decent donor. HTH & Thanks,
Tim
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Thank you for the compliment Deuce. The thread you posted the link to is a great idea. I think I will give it a shot. U want to remedy the breach in the seat before it starts to spread up & down.

The flame red I think is one of the better interior options available on our cars. In the late 90's I had a 94 that was almost identical to my current one. I had searched high and low to find another one that met my criteria. I've had this one for over a year and I will not make the same mistake twice. I'm not giving this one up.

Thanks again bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nicks94_redz28
Thank you for the compliment Deuce. The thread you posted the link to is a great idea. I think I will give it a shot. U want to remedy the breach in the seat before it starts to spread up & down.

The flame red I think is one of the better interior options available on our cars. In the late 90's I had a 94 that was almost identical to my current one. I had searched high and low to find another one that met my criteria. I've had this one for over a year and I will not make the same mistake twice. I'm not giving this one up.

Thanks again bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I just bought a 94 Z28 with bright red paint and Flame red cloth interior that's mint with no rips or stains . Very cool color combo, it made the sale for me!
Attached Thumbnails Interior production numbers?-20170122_163322.jpg