General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 LT1 no mods has rpm drop for a few seconds after start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 AM

96 LT1 no mods has rpm drop for a few seconds after start

Im not a newb and i think i know what the problem is. Its a 1996 Z28 auro (shut up i kno) bone stoxk with 80k miles. For a few aeconds after the engine fires and i release the key the engine rpm rises rhen suddenly drops to 2-300 rpm, stumbles a bit then it it idles fine. It runs perfect sounds perfect and there is no SES light. It started doing this after replacing the MAF. I ised an autozone MAF sensor because it was cheap. Im thinking the IAC motor and passages are dirty. The old maf sensor (original one) was actually ok. That dumb LT1 dong thing on the intake elbow fell out. Wondering if i should try using the old MAF and see if the idle stumble goes away. I have no ides other than that. I have a scan tool and no codes
Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Re: 96 LT1 no mods has rpm drop for a few seconds after start

That dumb LT1 dong thing on the intake elbow fell out.

I am confused as to what you are referring to. If there is any item that fell out of the elbow and is not replaced/fixed, allowing the engine to have an air or vacuum leak, it will effect how the engine performs.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
That dumb LT1 dong thing on the intake elbow fell out.

I am confused as to what you are referring to. If there is any item that fell out of the elbow and is not replaced/fixed, allowing the engine to have an air or vacuum leak, it will effect how the engine performs.
I think he is referring to what is commonly referred to as the "donkey dong". It's actually a silencer.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM

If it is the silencer he is referring to, I hope he removes the silencer and plugs the opening, or connects it back up the way it should be so the engine isn't sucking in air to the throttle body at that location. It affects what the MAF is able to do.

I removed mine, and plugged the opening.

Last edited by gaedbo; 03-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 AM

There are many posts on how to block the intake hose with donkey cong removal to prevent unmetered air going past the mas sensor.The 1LE elbow is a great choice.Any air getting past the mas to the throttle body will cause issues.I don't have one on my 93.Hope this helps.